Talk

Advanced search

We are Resolutely Frugal! Frugaleers continuing their new frugal year. All welcome!

(989 Posts)
fuzzpig Sun 10-Jan-16 17:56:04

Hello! I hope nobody minds me starting the new thread grin

CremeEggThief Sun 10-Jan-16 17:59:11

Thanks Fuzzsmile.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 10-Jan-16 18:02:06

Thanks fuzz. Yes I was really proud she was even dancing in the disco, unfortunately for her she gets her dancing skills from me it seems grin

supermariossister Sun 10-Jan-16 18:11:17

Thanks fuzz

Well done mini spotty

Get paid tomorrow but all straight back out on bills,boo! Have just managed to negotiate much better deal on our sky and I'm looking to drop my mobile contract next week so should be improving soon. What kind of meals do you all freeze I'm finding I am not eating in the day or having rubbish stuff cause it's just me.

Sorted out some of the boys room today as felt a bit better!

needastrongone Sun 10-Jan-16 18:18:46

Found you. Thanks fuzz

I am not the best at freezing meals super, so not the best person to ask. I have tried batch cooking in the past, but it doesn't work for us, I throw it away. I do freeze chicken stock, but that's it really.

babsmam Sun 10-Jan-16 18:18:53

star fuzz

Cleared out the garage attic and have piles of stuff to sort through for charity, sell, bin. Need to do the house attic too and then get selling in Feb. Do would just tip it but I recon I can make £100.

babsmam Sun 10-Jan-16 18:22:02

I do a batch of soup and freeze it in the seistema cups (I have 4) they are an aldi special buy sometime this week 6.99 for two.
The slimming world chick pea Dahl loaf and slaw or beetroot salad is good for a weeks food but don't think it's freezeable. I portion up left over lasagne, bologna isle, curry etc and have quick cook rice and pasta on hand to go with them.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 10-Jan-16 18:34:25

Thanks fuzz.

Well done minispotty. What happened with the Judo or whatever group it was they wouldn't let you stay for? I can't remember if you mentioned how that worked out.

Can I ask about stationary and office supplies? It seems work have run out of money so various things that we need we aren't going to be able to buy from the budget and will have to buy ourselves. So I thought I could put some frugaleering techniques to work. Obviously there are cashback sites and places where you can buy things cheap but I wondered if there was a version of checkoutsmart or something similar but for stuff that isn't groceries??

Laska5772 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:43:35

thanks forthe new thread fuzz
I usually freeze any left overs and make chicken stock but we are clearing out our freezer as a new one has to be bought.

Dh made a beef and beer casserole yesterday , which was fab , meat from the freezer and as we had all veg ( and wine ) in it was a NS weekend!
But it has been a spendy January so far and likely to continue that way ..but at least its all bills and things budgetted for .(good old YNAB) .

Have had a really lazy day at home though today (apart from dropping DH down to the ferry for his work week away) , we had a long walk yesterday and got caught out on the Downs in high winds and rain, I was soaked through by the time I got home despite wearing wet weather gear ... and havent wanted to go out since.

am just munching on ( frozen) left over grapes from christmas!

Laska5772 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:46:37

Rafa quidco has 7% cashback from Staples. I'm not sure how cheap they are but its free delivery on orders over £30

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:47:54

Thanks fuzz.

£39 on three packs of porcelain tiles, when we get a tiler in we can do the downstairs loo too now. It makes sense due to dh and splash marks. Not that he believes they are down to him hmm. When the cat pissed in the bath he shouted "fluffy, have you weed in the bath?" So he obviously has a low opinion of me. Dn assures me tilers are not pricey. He is so like dh it's uncanny.

How is dh need? Is the biopsy back yet? Don't answer if it's too personal. Flowers obviously are a Mia culpa admission.

Well done to mini spotty.

needastrongone Sun 10-Jan-16 18:53:37

Results Tuesday Fluffy, fingers crossed.

In what universe would your DH consider it feasible that you had actually wee'd in the bath grin grin grin

Good deal on the tiles. They are so very much easier to keep clean.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 10-Jan-16 18:56:31

That's so funny fluffy grin Shame you're not closer dh would do your tiling super cheap as he's an amateur

Thanks for asking Rafa, she went to one or two after that but didn't want to carry on after Christmas. She's going to do art club instead which is free so we're all happy!

Ememem84 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:59:57

Place marking. Will update properly later.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 10-Jan-16 19:02:45

Thanks Laska. That was one of the things I was looking at last night. I think it still worked out more expensive than buying what we need this week in the works. Without knowing how long this is going on for I'm not sure that anyone would want to make the £30 initial payment to save on P&P.

Coupons and Snap&Save type stuff would be ideal really.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:02:48

For the record I've never lost control of my bladder. In the bath or anywhere else.

Pointlessfan Sun 10-Jan-16 19:13:16

Thanks fuzz, can't believe we're on 2016 thread 2 already!

LollipopViolet Sun 10-Jan-16 19:18:55

Jumping onto the new thread smile Grr just realised I've got Slimming World money to go out tomorrow (£4.95 - I normally buy 12 week blocks but funds aren't permitting at the moment). So that, plus whatever I spend on lunch out with my friend (hopefully not much).

Wolfcub Sun 10-Jan-16 19:22:47

Evening all

CamdenTownie Sun 10-Jan-16 19:25:03

Hi there!

I'd love to join this thread, this month is going to be exceptionally tight as our dear old dog is currently staying at the Vets for treatment of a gastrointestinal problem, a very expensive business but he's totally with it (uninsured pooch) we've paid some of the costs but there will be more to pay when we bring him home too.

I'm lucky as our freezer is packed to bursting with lots of yellow stickered meat I've picked up in asda over the last few weeks, so we won't starve! I've got £40 to buy our top ups of milk bread and fruit & veg until I get paid on 26th Jan.

We will certainly be overdrawn this month as there is £256 in the current account and although most dd's including the mortgage have already been paid out there are still a few left to leave later in the month, the biggest is council tax at £158.00. I also have to pay for dd's piano lessons sad

I'm pledging not to spend anymore money this month, other than the £40 allocated for food.

I know that we should really save for such occasions as the dog getting sick or breakdown of white goods ect, so I'm hoping to start that next month, doesn't help that I got paid a whole week early last month.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 10-Jan-16 19:58:28

Someone asked what veg curry pinwheels are so here rough recipe 1/2onion, glove garlic chopped, plus any veg that needs using I used broccoli stalks!, 1/2 sweet potato and a carrot chopped and all boiled until soft. Melt teaspoon Mary in pan add teaspoon cumin n 1/2 teaspoon tumeric add the drained veg stir on low for few mins,and blend.

Sheet ready rolled Puff pastry coat with the veg mix about 1/2cm thick roll back up pop in fridge for at least an hr then slice into 1" thick slices pop on greased tray and bake for about 20mi ns

Nice warm or cold you can do pizza pin wheels too I am df n dont lime df cheese so dont do pizza ones

lilacclery Sun 10-Jan-16 19:59:57

Place marking * second thread of 16 & lots of new people this is great grin

Ememem84 Sun 10-Jan-16 20:46:47

£25 on eBay sales. All of which has been withdrawn from PayPal and paid off credit card.

Whataboutnodetox Sun 10-Jan-16 21:16:31

Thanks for the curry veg pin wheels I'll be trying those! Ds1 was df but was weaned into dairy and due to him not growing and severe eczema on his face excacerbsted by dairy on his skin May go back to df. Ds2 just turned four months and is df so these things always help to have in my back pocket.

Thank you for the new thread :/)

Spotty glad to hear your daughter had a lovely time and got up on stage. The party sounds like a great idea.

Ipsos Sun 10-Jan-16 21:16:36

need You are definitely not being U about getting your dh up. I'm generally a bit of a pushover, but getting people up and reminding people of things (adults anyway) is one of the few things that I answer by throwing a diary or alarm clock at the offender's head. Good luck on Tuesday. I will have all fingers and toes crossed until then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now