Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there a winter thriftiness thread?!

(11 Posts)
BaBaBaBoomBoom Mon 26-Oct-15 08:39:23

I think I recall one last year with people making their own draft excluders and tin foil down the back of radiators?
Anyone fancy linking/ making a new one?

We've just bought some fabric to make heavy duty curtains for our front door!

00100001 Mon 26-Oct-15 11:01:45

We're classy and hang blankets up in windows that aren't "used" smile

Grumpyoldblonde Mon 26-Oct-15 17:17:24

I used clubcard vouchers to double up and get us new heavy winter duvets for free! I have heard we may be in for a very cold, harsh winter (who really knows?) so every week I am putting an extra couple of tins of soup or beans or pasta in my stock cupboard in case we get really bad snow, not really thrifty as such but possibly sensible

00100001 Mon 26-Oct-15 17:29:07

Now is a PERFECT time to switch energy suppliers (uswitch)

00100001 Mon 26-Oct-15 17:33:15

Also we move the furniture round a bit - because the sofa and a bookcase is covering up our rads. We move it all around, but even moving the furniture forward will help!

00100001 Mon 26-Oct-15 17:33:48

leave the oven door open after cooking (switch it off, naturally!)

00100001 Mon 26-Oct-15 17:34:09

bleed your radiators

Wirralmumof2 Mon 26-Oct-15 17:41:46

My tip is to start adding layers before you get really cold.
Keep the warmth in before it all escapes.
And wear a scarf in the House
Also no gaps!!
Go and look for drafts now and block them up
Don't leave gaps in clothes either. Make layers overlap; long socks under jeans, longer boots. T shirts tucked in under jumpers.
Get warm in the car and then keep the layers on to stay warmer for longer especially around feet and hands
Keep wrists warm with warmers - I knitted mine using a very simple pattern and leftover wool.
Ankles similar. Cost nothing

Make use of winter sun. In recent weeks it's been Warmer outside than inside!
Winter days can still dry washing outside. Use the wind and sun- even if it doesn't dry totally it can get a lot of the water out.
I plan my washing like I plan my meals. Wash clothes in the evening if a sunny morning is forecast so it's ready to hang out and don't wash at all on days when it's damp or raining outside. I still haven't dried clothes in the tumble drier except for 5 minutes.

I could go on forever!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 28-Oct-15 15:38:53

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/2445911-Winter-is-coming-Frugaleers-keeping-warm

BaBaBaBoomBoom Thu 29-Oct-15 13:24:06

Some of these ideas are great, particularly the layering up before you get cold, I'd never have thought of that but it makes sense!

Also, going to make time to check my energy bills this eve

CountryLovingGirl Sun 01-Nov-15 21:39:47

I have just bought a few cheap fleece blankets from IKEA. £3 each. Nice and cosy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now