Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else a payday millionaire?

(17 Posts)
Dizzylizzie29 Tue 30-Jun-15 20:46:18

Well not quite millionaire but I find a spend most of the our money on payday.
Mostly nipping to the shops, having a coffee, buying that top I have had my eye on.
2 days later, no more disposable income and I'm miserable again!

So today is payday, found myself casually scrolling through the groupon 'deals' decided to stop and post here instead

Have recently downloaded ynab (I totally do!)
Don't need any clothes.
I would like to continue my crusade on eating up everything we have in the cupboards/freezer and meal plan before the next shop.
Give me strength! blush

Dizzylizzie29 Tue 30-Jun-15 20:47:14

Champagne lifestyle wannabe with lemonade money I tell myself ��

antimatter Tue 30-Jun-15 21:01:52

I would describe myself - with enough money to pay for a glass of tap water grin

Dizzylizzie29 Tue 30-Jun-15 23:10:49

Just been through YNAB and we actually have 1/4 of what I thought we did.
At least I checked before, phew
Going to try for NSDs

antimatter Wed 01-Jul-15 07:02:33

I need to set up YANB, money is just "disappearing" from my account...

ditavonteesed Wed 01-Jul-15 07:08:49

what is YNAB?

antimatter Wed 01-Jul-15 07:15:28

YouNeedABudget
it is software which helps you to budget
you can get 30 days free and sometimes there are offers on a purchase too

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/2390423-You-Need-a-Budget-Ynab

buttonmoonboots Wed 01-Jul-15 07:21:06

anti the op said she's got ynab smile

Can you withdraw cash for spending and limit yourself to that?

antimatter Wed 01-Jul-15 07:25:53

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/2099682-YNAB-for-dummies

antimatter Wed 01-Jul-15 09:20:34

I misspeled YNAB as YANB grin

I just bought it and need to get to grips with categories and where what goes.
So far I managed to put all the money I owe on credit card, debit card and car loan. That was easy!.

I know I am in a big debt. Over all I spent a lot of money this year gone on house repairs, new (second hand) car and also myself have been on 2 holidays. I am done with holidays until Christmas. I am hoping to bring my debts into control so that by Christmas I only owe money for my car loan and have all other expenses budgeted for.
When me and my ex finally spit our finances last year he left me with 2 K debt in June last year.
I knew I needed to replace carpet, fix bathroom and had also redecorated my son's bedroom. I know (more or less) my debts are due to those expenses.
At this moment I have healthy income but I am planning to change job as long commute and hours are really making me feel unwell but likely I am also having to experience pay cut.
I decided not to change jobs until my debts are under control.
That is already motivating me to do something about it hence my purchase of YNAB! Now I just have to learn to use it properly.

ifonly4 Wed 01-Jul-15 11:07:03

Our bank account looked very healthy for us yesterday, but after I deducted the bills and a large credit card bill from the balance, we've got just over £300 left. Sounds good. but we're away for two long weekends and other miscellaneous things, that'll just go.

lilacclery Wed 01-Jul-15 11:15:53

I get paid weekly on Thursday, Friday standing orders come out, Sat I do any shopping needed usually account almost empty then....by applying ynab principles doing a spreadsheet of my debt & annual bills I now have a relatively healthy bank balance left each week of course I could lump it off my credit card debt but I prefer to just do this monthly & to have the cushion of extra money there just in case.

Dizzylizzie29 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:31:38

It's good to hear YNAB working for people. I will take a look at the thread as I can't seem to get my bank and YNAB to balance so I am not doing something right!
Spending another day in the house, asking OH to pick up the baby essentials we need as if I go out myself I am a sucker for a 'bargain'
and suddenly find my basket full and bank empty.
Will also be using cash when out as find it too easy to use my card and worry about the money later.
Ifonly4 - we are left with around the same amount, having paid off numerous debts over the years I find its all too easy to spend now whereas before I would merticuliusly pack a packed lunch, water for the car for journeys we have been spending at Motocafes etc.
Have no savings so now need to adopt a healthily approach so we can have money left over and savings too. A girl can dream!

Dizzylizzie29 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:33:30

Have also started an exercise video in the evenings, keeping me busy and away from shops/eBay
Just stream it through you tube so nice and free!

antimatter Wed 01-Jul-15 14:41:44

I have free breakfast and lunch atvwork but kids snack a lot so my weekly food bills are huge! I am quite good at not spending on little things but 2 teenagers need a lot to clothe them and keep fed.

Sleepyhoglet Wed 01-Jul-15 21:00:24

Never ever open ebay unless you are selling or really need anythibgb. It's my vice.

chanie44 Wed 01-Jul-15 21:15:37

When I get paid, I take out a sum to last me for the month and give myself a set amount each week. This means I always have a little bit of money available and if I spend it, I won't have long before the next weekly instalment.

I put the money in a tin, so I can't spend it when I'm out.

It works well for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now