Talk

Advanced search

Cien suncream

(16 Posts)
ItsaTenfromDen Sun 17-May-15 17:58:00

Saw a stand of this in Lidl, way cheaper than Boots etc.

Has anyone used it? Does it do the job or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Thanks

UnspecialSnowflake Sun 17-May-15 18:02:09

I've used it on DD for the past few years. It smells like emulsion paint, and goes on a bit like emulsion pain too, but it works and with a fair skinned child sun cream can add up to £££s so it saves a bit of money.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-May-15 19:18:20

I think with suncream it's how much you put on and when you put it on.

So it's better to slaps loads of cheap cream on half an hour before leaving than putting a bit of expensive stuff on when you get to the beach.

When the reviews of suncream are in the news some of the expensive ones do very badly compared to own brand sun screens.

Yellowaveo59 Sun 17-May-15 19:21:22

There was an article in one of the newspapers this week Steve Allen discussed it on LBC it turned out Asda and a value Boots own brand were better than some of the more expensive branded products.

chanie44 Sun 17-May-15 20:04:56

I've just bought some today for our holiday, so I hope it's okay!!

starfish4 Mon 18-May-15 10:14:27

I can't comment on Cien, but I read something similar to yellowaveo59, saying that Calypso at £1.90 came out a lot better than Piz Bruin costing £11.49.

Will be watching this thread though, as I'll have to buy some soon.

starfish4 Mon 18-May-15 10:15:32

I can't comment on Cien, but I read something similar to yellowaveo59, saying that Calypso at £1.90 came out a lot better than Piz Bruin costing £11.49.

Will be watching this thread though, as I'll have to buy some soon.

MrsMarigold Mon 18-May-15 10:21:34

I quite like it we used it last summer and also found the Cien unscented body lotion very good. I know people might think this controversial but I quite like the kids to get a bit of sun, in the UK it is quite gentle compared to where I grew up in the tropics.

AuntieMaggie Mon 18-May-15 10:57:21

I don't know about the lidl one but the aldi one comes out high up on the which tests every year.

Charlesroi Mon 18-May-15 14:53:25

I've used it and it does the job just fine. I generally like the Cien products.

I also think its worth bearing in mind that standards have to be adhered to, and that a cheap price for a product doesn't mean it is allowed to work less well (the same applies to sunglasses)

Grumpyoldblonde Tue 19-May-15 17:57:34

The Tesco value sunscreen is excellent and came out top in some tests on some kind of consumer programme last year (may have been a Martin Lewis show)

listsandbudgets Sun 24-May-15 21:23:13

don't kow about cien but Which have recently done some reviews on sun cream and said calypso sun lotion from Home Bargains was a best buy. Its £2.99 a bottle for the factor 30

FastWindow Sun 24-May-15 21:38:31

Used it for years, comes in a handy spray bottle like Dettol. No more slippery hands. Apparently, the soltan from boots doesn't meet the testing standards, I saw on Watchdog. There was another, but either I hadn't heard of it or it was a pricey brand I wouldn't buy anyway. Cien is pretty gloopy, but what the hell. At least you know it's there.

pollypocket123 Wed 27-May-15 09:01:44

It is a bit thick but works very well. Same ingredients, different packaging!!

BabyGanoush Wed 27-May-15 09:04:20

We use it, it works

It isn't perfumed

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 02-Aug-15 13:53:02

I bought it and it's fine but do remember it only protects against UVA rays only. It might be worth paying a bit extra for a dual UVA & UVB protection cream.

I bought from M&S an Australian tested dual protection cream which was reduced to £5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now