Talk

Advanced search

Ways to cut your grocery spending

(4 Posts)
Boonboon1 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:51:43

I'm compiling a list of ways in which we can cut our grocery spending. So far I've got 17. I'd love to hear your ideas. You can check out what I've got so far here goo.gl/Ax12Yg

lonelyandtired Wed 11-Feb-15 13:27:09

ALWAYS shop with a list - don't be tempted by things you don't need.
Buy veg and fruit when it's in season. There's no reason to buy sprouts in the spring, buy what is naturally grown at that time of year. Use shops which have less choice and few marketing ploys (think goods in cardboard boxes, rather than lined up like soldiers on floor to ceiling racks). Aldi and Lidl now stock a much better range, who needs 50 varieties of strawberry jam? Then, go to one of the 'big ones' for the stuff you like and can't get eg Dr Pepper or Fanta drinks. Clear out your cupboards, who knows what might be lurking at the back? Find innovative ways to use up ingredients or stuff in the back of the fridge with recipes a la Google. Plan, plan and plan. Even a rough idea of a week's meals helps you think and shop more sensibly. And there are lots more .....

TarquinMoriartyGruntfuttockII Wed 11-Feb-15 13:31:34

Meal Plan is a definite must.

Also try The Grocery Challenge over on MSE.

Click Here

Also have a good mooch around the other boards on there as there are a lot of ways to save money on different boards.

ivykaty44 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:24:38

Make your own bread by using free cycle or other to get a machine that is stick in a cupboard. Not only is bread cheaper but it stops those dashes to the local shop for a £1:50 loaf and coming home having spent a fiver.

Same goes for a milk man

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: