Talk

Advanced search

Just keeping £10 in my purse

(7 Posts)
Munchkin08 Sun 01-Feb-15 08:09:05

That's it really. Freezer and cupboards are quite full, petrol money taken out and now I'm just going to keep £10 in my purse for emergencies and any extra ingredient I might need so I can't go into the supermarket for one thing and come out spending £40 😳.

Does anyone else do this?

chelsbells Sun 01-Feb-15 08:20:18

Me! It does work, providing you don't suddenly use your debit card! I've found it even better to not take my purse with me to work especially... I don't ever need it in the day, work is only 2 miles from home - stops me from taking a quick trip to the lovely but expensive sandwich shop at lunch or calling in at the supermarket on the way home just because I want chocolate! smile

Give it a go - effectively you shouldn't need to use it if you've stocked up so good luck!

Munchkin08 Sun 01-Feb-15 08:28:56

Thank you Chelsbells. I'm defiantly going to give this a go.
Also with two teenagers - if I haven't got money on me I can't lend them anything ��.

chanie44 Sun 01-Feb-15 09:13:52

I do this. When I get paid, I take out £40-£50 and give myself £10 a week. It means i always have access to a bit of money and never have to wait long if I over spend.

I use it for whatever bits and pieces I may need during the week, like milk or deodorant etc. If I have any leftover at the end of the week, I save it towards treats. This helps to keep me on track as makes me think twice about spending my money on crap, as I can save it towards something 'nice'.

Allofaflumble Mon 02-Feb-15 08:32:43

This reminds me of a present I gave to someone last year. I made a huge bag out of some lovely material (a drawstring one) and labelled it a "Skint Sack".

In it I put all sorts of bits and bobs. Biscuits, crackers, cake mix, toilet rolls, tea bags, washing up liquid, chocolate and food for the cat etc.

I also put an envelope in and using my stamps, put on the front "Emergency Tenner".

She was really pleased with it and told me recently she had had to use the £10 note and it had come in very useful. smile

It cost me about £30 in all

lilacclery Mon 02-Feb-15 16:41:40

Allofaflumble that sounds like a laugh!

Munchkin08 Tue 03-Feb-15 15:38:18

Allofaflumble -that's a great present idea grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: