Talk

Advanced search

Entitled to

(19 Posts)
Currentlyclueless Sat 24-Jan-15 06:45:21

I'm not sure if I'm entitled to anything at all I'm a student but had to suspend studies as I won't be able to sit the majority if my exams whilst preg - therefor I get no bursary at all until I return to Uni.

Where I live universal credit has started but I'm not sure what I'm entitled to the site is of no use for people in my situation.

Does anyone know what I'm entitled to if anything? I'd never normally look at benefits (never thought I would ever get pregnant) but things change.

Any help is appreciated

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sat 24-Jan-15 06:48:00

Do you have a partner? Any children? Will you be working? Renting or owning, private or council?
I have no idea how to calculate UC but could give an idea based on your circumstances in a general way

Currentlyclueless Sat 24-Jan-15 09:25:12

No to the first two but I live with my parents they own their home.
I'm looking for work currently but having no luck and probably when I'm showing I will have less luck even though I'm aware they can't specifically reject me due to pregnancy.

Thank you smile

Zazzabeans Sat 24-Jan-15 13:57:15

At the end of the calculation, it tells you what changes will be made when uc comes in. Can you not use that estimate?

Currentlyclueless Sat 24-Jan-15 14:09:51

I'm not sure if I can get it because I only left studies officially on Jan 12th .. So I was wondering if anyone in here had a clue if I can get anything.

SoonToBeSix Sat 24-Jan-15 16:17:19

If you are are looking for work you will be entitled to the Job seekers element of UC unless you received financial support as a student that you are still supposed to be using to support yourself.

Currentlyclueless Sat 24-Jan-15 19:25:13

I only got a bursary as a student but because I've suspended I've had to pay this terms back as soon as it was placed in my account. My bursary is less than £1000

SoonToBeSix Sat 24-Jan-15 19:30:40

If you have paid this terms bursary back and you are currently searching and available for work there should be no issue with UC eligibility. Make sure you apply for the sure start maternity grant from 29 weeks pregnant ( £500) and child benefit and tax credits ( approx £73 a week) once baby is born.

Currentlyclueless Sun 25-Jan-15 13:32:40

Thanks for your help

SophieBarringtonWard Mon 26-Jan-15 08:17:56

Why did you have to suspend your studies at such an early stage of pregnancy? Sounds bizarre to me. I would take that up with your university to be honest. It's just their policy, it's not the law. Several friends had babies during medical school & only one of them took a year out - the other 2 carried on studying until close to due date, took a few weeks off and came back.

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 28-Jan-15 14:07:53

While I was at university two classmates sat their second year exams and then gave birth during the long summer. They were able to return to their final year in October without having to lose a year. If you can, see if you are able to complete this year as the exams are only in May/June and this way you won't have to repeat a year but that is if you want to.

How are you feeling generally with the pregnancy?

Can you temp at the moment with an agency like Brooke street? Universities will be recruiting soon for admin staff to deal with the UCAS applications and new year. Might be worth having a look on their website or phone and find out which temping agency they use.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/entitlement

Currentlyclueless Wed 28-Jan-15 15:35:30

Medicine exams are after June/July - Can't do placements due to my now extremely low blood pressure so I would have that % missing of my overall and I'm normally hitting 90% average each year so I'm not dropping from that. I'd rather go back in September and the Uni think that's the best idea too.

I've sent my CV to a few agencies too just waiting to hear anything really.

Money advice service or whatever it's called are calling me back tomorrow they need to know if I'm entitled to anything as I'm technically still a student when I've suspended studies.

SophieBarringtonWard Wed 28-Jan-15 20:42:29

Ah yes, I fell into that trap. I was doing a masters when I fell pregnant with my first, sat my finals (including one on my due date!), then suspended studies so I could complete my dissertation the following year. I wasn't entitled to claim anything as I counted as a student still. This was 2008 though so perhaps it has changed.

I remembered when thinking about this thread that one person I know had two children during medical school, and still graduated with the rest of her year. Her parents did basically move in with her & her partner though! But if it suits you to suspend that's fine.

Currentlyclueless Thu 29-Jan-15 07:14:21

It's better for my health to suspend at the minute.

It's so ridiculous that I'm probably not entirely to anything at all! Living off my family makes me feel horrible

SilverStars Thu 29-Jan-15 15:48:47

Would the father of the child be able to contribute once the baby is born for baby costs? May help a little.

Sure start grant and job seekers as others have posted seem 2 options.

Currentlyclueless Thu 29-Jan-15 16:44:39

He wants nothing to do with the child sadly at all. He's become very childish.

LIZS Thu 29-Jan-15 17:27:08

He doesn't actually gave a choice not to pay , although that would be minimal if he too is a student.

SilverStars Thu 29-Jan-15 19:27:32

Agree he has no choice about paying. Would his parents, the other grandparents want to contribute to their grandchild - some do, but not to expect it.

Currentlyclueless Fri 30-Jan-15 08:56:16

He isn't a student. He's not going on the birth certificate so he won't have to pay anything my family would rather pay than have him near me or the baby.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: