Talk

Advanced search

Which do you think will be cheaper?

(9 Posts)
hbr1989 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:36:58

I usually turn the central heating off at 7.30 when the children go to bed. After that I usually potter around tidying up and am then in my bed by 8.30 to keep warm. I read or watch tv. I've just decorated the living room and now that it's lovely I would like to enjoy it on an evening. The room has got an electric fire. I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to have the electric fire on or keep the heating on whilst I'm in the living room on an evening.

Cabbagesaregreen Sat 03-Jan-15 10:40:02

I would have thought central heating. Can you switch off other radiators so just have the one on in the room you're in?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:58:17

Probably the central heating, just keep it on in the rooms you need.

Mum4Fergus Sat 03-Jan-15 11:28:59

Turn off the radiators in all but the living room...or turn that one off too and snuggle up with a blanket and/or hot water bottle - I do the latter once DS goes to bed...

hbr1989 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:31:54

Thanks. I will try going without either but put the heating on for a bit if it's freezing

specialsubject Sat 03-Jan-15 12:53:46

how many bars does the fire have?
what is your unit rate for electricity?
and for gas?

but it is almost certainly cheaper to use the central heating, as well as keeping the house warmer which is better for it.

CaulkheadUpNorth Sat 03-Jan-15 12:55:48

We have some huge blankets and light candles in the evening instead of Central heating being on. I understand the bar heaters are expensive but I'm not entirely sure.

hesterton Sat 03-Jan-15 12:57:05

A heated throw is a lovely way to stay warm when rhe heating is off - so you have a birthday coming up and someone you can drop hints to?

starfish4 Tue 06-Jan-15 09:56:16

Our heating is never on after 8pm and it doesn't get that cold before we go to bed (around 10.30pm) unless it's a few degrees below freezing outside. I do tend to get changed into pyjamas & dressing gown before the heating goes off, so there's no changing when it's cooler. Also, you could always have a blanket in case anyone is chilly, that way you can avoid any kind of heating.

A while ago I worked out it costs us around 30p an hour on average to use the heating, don't know what yours works out to, but this might help against the unit cost of electricity used in an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now