Talk

Advanced search

What to do for 30th Birthday when skint

(14 Posts)
Margaritte Thu 27-Nov-14 14:27:39

Basically what the title says. Am skint at the minute, and my 30th is coming up soon. I know its probably the least of my worries at the minute, though I would like to do something to mark it.

Has anyone got any ideas what they would do? Or did do for their 30th?

radiobedhead Thu 27-Nov-14 14:38:24

House party.

Stipulate no presents but ask nicely if everyone could bring their own booze.

You could do nibbles relatively cheaply. Could you ask for some birthday money from anyone?

Fairy lights from the Poundshop, few candles and a bit of music and you're done!

Happy birthday smile

Margaritte Fri 28-Nov-14 19:38:59

Thank you radio

That sounds like a lovely idea, perhaps I should of been more specific though. I am struggling with things at the minute & so I meant more for DH & I to do something (don't get much time together) & for ideas to do as a family too.

I do have one friend I will probably invite to maybe have a night in with, other than that, I mean just as above.

I was talking to DH today and he seems frustrated we cant go out etc, and I want to come up with something so we can still have a nice time.

oranges Fri 28-Nov-14 19:45:18

where are you? could you find something nice and free to do - an art gallery or a lunchtime concert - some places have them free in the foyers of theatres or offices. Take a flask of really nice hot chocolate and nibbles.
walk around look at the xmas lights.

then home for candlelit bath, dinner etc.

Margaritte Fri 28-Nov-14 20:00:34

I'm in the South East oranges.
I will have a look at the local pages and see what's on. I haven't ever been able to find decent hot chocolate confused it always seems watery or if made with milk, never seems to dissolve properly.

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Nov-14 20:08:32

We were skint on my 39th. We saved up and went for a curry at my favourite place in Sheffield. We didn't live in Sheffield anymore. Apart from the curry, non-essential petrol was a huge treat.

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 28-Nov-14 20:09:40

I got my nose pierced. smile

Screenclean Fri 28-Nov-14 20:13:11

Coming at this from a completely differeent angle - try not to be held to random by a date. There will always be a birthday, a Christmas/valentines whatever. If you will do something in a watered down way then it might be worse than just saying "ok I'll do something awesome for my 31st" or whatever. I don't meant to insult you though x

The411 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:32:25

Whereabouts in the south east are you? Maybe people might know of good free events in your area.
Do you have kids you want to involve?

The weather is still quite mild so going out somewhere green and having a grown up picnic is doable.

Have a nice meal and cake at home. Have a drink/hot drink under the stars if it's a clear night.

It's nice to mark it and you don't need to do anything amazing.

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Nov-14 21:02:24

I meant 30th in my previous post, not 39th.

Margaritte Fri 28-Nov-14 23:42:21

These are all great ideas. smile

I cant save up for a meal out, though I am similar to you (BikeRunSki ) in my favourite curry house is where I used to live. If I could afford it I would, though may tie it in with Screenclean's idea and visit the restaurant for my 31st birthday next year.

Darkstone Bet that looks fab smile

The411 I am in Kent. I do have dc & I would like to do something as a family, though also just DH & I to do something as well.
The idea of a winter picnic is lovely, and I really would like to do that wine

The411 Sat 29-Nov-14 07:10:50

Any good?

www.dofreestuff.com/kent.html

Margaritte Sun 30-Nov-14 09:04:44

Yes, thank you 411. May be somewhere on that list that will be great for a visit & picnic smile

oranges Sun 30-Nov-14 16:46:01

Whittards do nice hot choc. Or take a flask of hot water and make up a hot toddy? If you can stretch to a train ride to Waterloo the south bank has loads of free stuff on and you can nip into the festival hall or Tate modern to warm up and use the loo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now