Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me with my mealplan with a low budget?

(7 Posts)
caughtupinthismoment Tue 25-Nov-14 13:16:17

Hey everyone,
I've overlooked my reciepts the past few weeks for food and tolietries. I've realised I spend 100 a month on everything all in. So roughly 25.00 a week.
Theres only myself and my fussy toddler.I need an overhaul on meals because we have been having the same meals so often I'm tired.
I've tried to have meals plans but it just didnt happen because I need inspiration.
I always try to pick a different meat everyweek because it tends to last for three meals because I hate waste.
So today I'm cooking a chicken and basically itll last till friday.

For breakfast we tend to eat cereal oatmeal or toast
Lunch tends to be sandwiches the fillings always differ.
I need inspiration for dinners my toddler is very fussy. But when I go to collect her from nursery I hear what she has been eating that day and itll always be something she refuses to eat or eats a few bites of at home. She always seems to have room for seconds of lunch plus her pudding at nursery but will only eat the same meals at home. I've tried alsorts of different foods but they go untouched and I hate to waste food with such a little budget.
Staple meals in this house are Pizza
Spaghetti bolognaise and Garlic bread
Fishfingers Chips and Peas.
I made sausage pasta bake the other day and she just ate the pasta
Same with chicken stirfry at the weekend she just ate the rice and the naanbread.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 25-Nov-14 17:18:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Wed 26-Nov-14 10:29:54

you are being messed about re the fussy eating, not uncommon. Just because she's short doesn't mean she doesn't know how to push your buttons.

have a chat with nursery for ideas on how to solve the problem. Also serve her smaller portions, she can always have more if wanted. Then you can freeze or refrigerate the rest, no waste.

Passthecake30 Wed 26-Nov-14 17:39:19

If she's having decent meals at nursery I would just give her a picky plate - humous, ham, cheese, tomatoes etc. ..different combinations each evening. Then I'd probably eat what I actually fancied rather than work around what she wants tbh. ..and suggest that she has a taste. I'd ensure you eat the same the days she's not at nursery, but I just wouldn't do it every day.

AdoraBell Sun 30-Nov-14 03:02:05

Something I did to get mine to try different things was give them something they already liked and I had something different. No conversations about they need to try x or that I was cooking a different food/way for them to try.

So as suggested, give her a picky plate and you have whatever you fancy eating and see if she shows an interest in your plate. It could be that she isn't so hungry if she's eating well at nursery.

SoonToBeSix Sun 30-Nov-14 05:22:22

If she eats a proper meal at nursery a proper dinner is far too much. Try omelette, beans on toast, sandwiches, soup, cheese in toast etc.

gretagrape Sun 30-Nov-14 06:52:48

Do you have a freezer? Batch cook things so for the time it takes to cook one meal you get another two or three that you can freeze. Defrost in the fridge all day then just reheat. So leftover chicken can be used for curry, lasagne or for a shepherds-type pie; mince can be spag bol, chilli, meatballs or burgers, etc. Veggie shepherds pie, chunky veg soups with lentils or cannellini beans for extra protein. All ok for freezer, and it means you can vary meals istead of having to have the same meat for several days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now