Talk

Advanced search

Iceland Mince pies

(11 Posts)
serin Fri 07-Nov-14 18:57:39

Saw in the newspaper that these mince pies came out top in an independent taste test (beating Harrods, Marks and Waitrose IIRC)

£1.50 for six (These are the luxury version, Not to be confused with their other even cheaper ones).

Well, I love a mince pie. so I bought a box to try them out and I can confirm that they are indeed gorgeous! smile

ismellonehugerat Fri 07-Nov-14 22:43:13

Do you work for Iceland then?

Captainweasel Fri 07-Nov-14 23:01:24

I bought some today (and accidentally fell over and they ended up in my mouth. The whole box) Amazing.

Has anyone bought the £5 lobster? I read want to know if it's an actual lobster????

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Nov-14 07:34:08

I'd heard the iceland ones won too, lidl usually does very well in the smoked salmon tests.

I've looked at the lobsters, they are quite small.

Lushlush Tue 11-Nov-14 07:00:50

I bought the 12 for £1.50 they weren't very good, will try the luxury ones.
Aldi ones usually very good.

NorwaySpruce Tue 11-Nov-14 07:06:35

I'm sure shops just sponsor these taste tests, and keep going until 4 out of seven people (or pick your own sample size!) say theirs are best grin

Depending on the ad piece you read, you'll hear that Asda/Tesco/Aldi/Greggs came out top.

I like the little ones from Sainsbury's bakery myself fgrin

serin Tue 11-Nov-14 11:28:22

No bias Ismellonehugerat, I work for the NHS!

Just love mince pies and I agree that the mini ones in Sainsbury are also excellent, in fact I started a thread about them some years ago!

(and FWIW I shop half and half in Aldi and Waitrose).

HSMMaCM Tue 11-Nov-14 11:30:33

Captain weasel do you fall over like that much grin

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 15-Nov-14 13:37:15

Try making your own with a jar of Waitrose cranberry mincemeat. Really lovely & not as sickly sweet as traditional mincemeat.

serin Sun 16-Nov-14 20:26:36

I will look out for that MsAsprey!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Nov-14 19:20:31

My mother used to make hers half and half stewed cooking apple and mincemeat, Ms Asprey. Moist, yummy and not cloyingly sweet. (Probably much cheaper as well.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now