Talk

Advanced search

Credit crunch ideas for Christmas gifts for teen dd?

(23 Posts)
carriewintermeadow Sat 01-Nov-14 23:38:29

Dh is out of work, my income doesn't cover all outgoings, so Christmas will be minimal this year. We don't go in for it in a big way anyway, only do gifts for children and have small family.

However, I would like to give dd13 some gifts, but am stuck for ideas, as she no longer plays with toys.

I shop a lot on EBay and also I can knit a bit, but home knitted stuff isn't "in"!

I also would like to have a little something for adult dd and ds. Last year I knitted gloves for all of them.

If anyone had any ideas, it might be useful for others too smile

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 02-Nov-14 08:24:03

Have a look on the xmas bargain threads where people post details about bargains & codes.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/2221510-Christmas-bargain-thread-14-the-one-ode-to-Tim

What's your budget & what type of things is she into?

If she likes films, then cineworld do a xmas gift box of x 2 tickets, vouchers for snacks & drinks for twenty pounds.

Or if shes into makeup, then a pamper hamper made up of cheap makeup. Superdrug do a range called MUA for a few pounds & good quality.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 02-Nov-14 08:28:06

Also can you sell old toys/books/household items via ebay, carboot & facebook selling pages to raise cash?

Check out ebay, amazon, gumtree & freecycle for inexpensive gift ideas.

wannabestressfree Sun 02-Nov-14 08:39:24

I have a brand new hollister shirt I bought (turns out it's a girls ) for my son. I don't know if it's any good?

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Nov-14 08:47:12

M&M are doing half price Converse this weekend.

Lottie4 Sun 02-Nov-14 11:04:21

Is there anything clothes wise she would like, that perhaps she has seen but hasn't asked for due to circumstances at the moment? If she doesn't know what she'd like, you could always give her some money (always useful for a teen) and a few stocking fillers. I've bought a couple of boxes of chocolates for my dd (when on offer in the last couple of months - celebrations and matchmakers which came to £3.25). Mine likes lip balm, so that'll be another stocking filler for her - does your daughter have a favourite toiletry which you're not buying at the moment due to lack of funds but perhaps could be a present.

carriewintermeadow Sun 02-Nov-14 12:57:37

Thanks smile

I'll have a look at the converse, as I know she'd really like some.

Thanks for the offer of the shirt, she's not got into designer stuff yet plus tends to wear tshirts mainly.

I've seen the Christmas bargain thread and will keep an eye on it, thanks.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 02-Nov-14 14:26:12

On Amazon they have some great little cookie shaped mirrors and necklaces and even a look a like Pandora bracelets all 50p- £3 Inc postage and come from China n take about a month to arrive if u search for cookie mirror will probably show u lots of other suggestions I have brought a few bits for nieces aged 14,15,17 for Xmas.

eatyouwithaspoon Sun 02-Nov-14 17:58:24

there were some cute zip headphones for around £3

eatyouwithaspoon Sun 02-Nov-14 17:59:39

sorry i mean to say on that thread, from China / Amazon

dementedma Sun 02-Nov-14 18:03:13

Amazon have some dirt cheap jewellery, for just a couple of pounds. Cinema voucher would be good with some popcorn thrown in. primark for cheap knickers, socks, bits and bobs.

RandomMess Sun 02-Nov-14 18:11:28

Look at knitted/crochet stuff on pininterest there is some trendy stuff on there - you may be surprised!

Capabilitymom Mon 03-Nov-14 23:42:32

I have just been checking out this year's Tesco Clubcard Boost and the categories this year include beauty gifts and electrical items, including hair straighteners etc.
If you have a few vouchers you could check out what is on offer.

RoyCroppersOldBag Tue 04-Nov-14 13:26:51

How about filling a gift basket? Have done this on previous years for DD16 made one up of things like hot choc sachet, choc spread (got one from Sainsburys that had poppng candy in it)micro popcorn, nice chocs (something special, not the supermarket stuff!) basically nice nibbley things. Another year made one up of different smellies, face mask sachets, body spray, nail varnish - all from £1 shops or Savers.

foxdongle Thu 06-Nov-14 09:01:06

What about a baking box if she's into that- loads of good bits in poundland.
or a knitting basket so you can teach /help her.
My dd loves the bubble bath, bath fizzer sets from B&M and the like only a couple of quid.

serin Fri 07-Nov-14 18:50:18

Make a sock monkey kit. smile
All you need is a nice pair of socks, stuffing, some threads, ribbon etc. then download the instructions from the internet and print off for her.

I have also printed off the dialogue for plays and acted them out with DC's, free and fun.

Cushions/throws for her room are good value in B and M or Matalan.

Jigsaws and paint by numbers.

Domino's/cards

Queenofknickers Fri 07-Nov-14 18:53:14

The superdry outlet on eBay had some v cool earmuffs for 6 pounds - they've arrived and they are really nice and supercool - got them for my teen! Plus got her a cardigan for 19.99 that looks home-knitted so I think that is a cool look for them now...

Queenofknickers Fri 07-Nov-14 18:55:42

One thing I did a few years ago for my DSD at that age was fill a purple plastic box with different cheap wools (from pound shop) and knitting needles from charity shop and put a "voucher" in there promising to teach her to knit. She was really pleased

carriewintermeadow Fri 07-Nov-14 19:11:26

Thanks for the ideas. She's really not into crafts. I taught her how to knit, but doesn't like to anymore.

I think a hamper of make up, bubble bath stuff might be an idea.

ihatethecold Fri 07-Nov-14 19:53:14

I went to primark today and got my dd a double fleeced soft throw for her bed for a tenner.
I also picked up a brushed cotton duvet cover
They have some lovely cushions that are very pretty.
Posh fairy lights. Scented candles. Slippers.

There is a theme here isn't there? grin

windingways Wed 19-Nov-14 13:34:49

Looking forward to a great christmas and new years despite the credit crunch, have to buy gifts for my family who is living in another country so a ticket expense will be included, hope all goes well and i get their gifts to them on time with added plus... looking forward to it!!

stressedHEmum Thu 20-Nov-14 09:16:30

Does she have her ears pierced or wear teen type jewellery? You can make earrings and things for pennies. I do it all the time for my 15yo DD and her friends. You can buy the stuff from Amazon/Ebay cheaply and you have enough supplies for loads of pairs. Matching necklaces are easy to make if you buy the faux leather cords, also bracelets are super easy and ceap if you buy some beading elastic. DDs friends actually request these things for birthdays and Christmas now. Another thing that they all like, for the novelty value, is monogrammed hankies. I buy cheap ladies hankies, trace out their initials in fancy font from the computer and use stem stitch to embroider. I might add some daisy stitch flowers or something similar to embellish it, but not always. Have also made lovely beaded bookmarks quickly, easily and cheaply, that might be an idea if your DD likes to read actual books as opposed to a kindle/nook type thing.

Hand knit jumpers might not be in, but scarves are - I do the ruffle ones for DD and nieces or big, chunky infinity type ones. The ruffle ones only cost 1 ball of wool and take less than a couple of hours to finish.

How about a gift bag with nail polish, nail polish remover, hand cream and cotton wool. Print out a gift tag that says "For Your Mistle Toes". Or a mug filled with a couple of sachets of hot chocolate, some chocolate buttons/stars, marshmallows and a couple of candy canes. Wrap it in cellophane and attach a snowman soup lable. All small things but things that teen like (or at least my DD and her friends do.)

sillyhockey06 Thu 20-Nov-14 23:29:30

www.randomteens.co.uk - they have lots of stocking fillers for a fiver

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now