Advanced search

Urgent help - No money

(39 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Superpar1313 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:24:20


Looking for advice. I currently am on benefits and single parent of one. I have unexpected bill been taken this week and don't have any food whatsoever. I have tried welfare and social work and none can help as they have previously helped. I'm so stressed. All I'm looking for is food or someway of getting it. I've never been as desperate as this and worried and can't feed family. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you x

pickles184 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:25:58

Can you send address OP, may be able to find some help?

Superpar1313 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:26:39


JoinTheDots Fri 07-Feb-14 16:28:09

Food bank? Are there any local charities in your area (churches often have them) who can help? Have you been to the CAB? They might be able to negotiate with the company the unexpected bill came in from and see if you can pay over several months leaving you with at least some money for food. Do you have any family or friend who could loan you a small amount interest free to get you out of this particular problem time?

Hope you get something sorted ASAP

HyvaPaiva Fri 07-Feb-14 16:29:21

There are foodbanks in Govanhill, Ibrox, and Parkhead. Go there, OP.

RestingActress Fri 07-Feb-14 16:30:07

which part of Glasgow are you in OP? I'm sure there must be a food bank / church nearby that would hlep

Superpar1313 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:32:01

Hi thank you for your help I have tried family etc with no success. Been to food bank near by but by time got there closed and now no money to go further on as used last getting to there. I don't get paid for another week and scared electricity gas etc also runs out x

colette Fri 07-Feb-14 16:33:36

Superpar1313 some housing associations have emergency food parcels

Superpar1313 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:35:37

Okay thank you for the advice. Will try that. Was wondering if any other ideas to make quick cash? X

MooncupGoddess Fri 07-Feb-14 16:37:20

If there's a local Pret try going there at closing time, they make all their food on a daily basis so sometimes have leftovers going free.

Is there a Sikh gurdwara near you, apparently they offer free food to the needy.

DustyBaubles Fri 07-Feb-14 16:37:58

You will only get quick cash by pawning or selling something.

Will your family really not buy you a loaf of bread and a few tins of beans? Or have your child stay with them for a few days?

CatONineTails Fri 07-Feb-14 16:40:27

Crisis loan?

SS will help you if there is no other option. They will have an emergency out of hours number and will be able to refer you to food bank.

pickles184 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:44:04

Have you a salvation army nearby? They usually have the basics for people in need.

NettoSuperstar Fri 07-Feb-14 16:44:43

payday loan?

HyvaPaiva Fri 07-Feb-14 16:46:33

Mooncup, great suggestion about the Gurdwara.

OP, the Gurdwara is in Pollokshields (37 Albert Drive).

bubblesausage Fri 07-Feb-14 16:49:44

What's the bill that's been taken? Was it by dd? If you weren't informed it would be collected you can claim indemnity at bank - they have to refund it straight into your account under dd guarantee. (realise no help if not this, just thought worth mentioning)

Piscivorus Fri 07-Feb-14 16:50:27

In our area the food bank leave spare parcels at CABs and Sure Start centres

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 07-Feb-14 16:55:31

you don't have any food at all? Of any description? Not a tin or packet or jar or anything? nothing that could cobble together any type of meal for your children? Then phone social services and tell them that you have no food at all in the house and ask them for help. Even if you have been helped before, they will not let your children go without any sustenance at all for a week.

or go to one of those cash converter type places and pawn your laptop/any item of value.

Lj8893 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:56:39

I hate hate hate payday loans with a passion, however if you have no other options then it may be the thing to do. Just don't borrow anymore than you can afford to pay back.

teenagetantrums Fri 07-Feb-14 17:01:51

can you pawn something, i pawn my phone or my laptop when we have no cash and food is running out, i get £50 and pay back £65 when my next benefits go in, its not ideal but better than kids going hungry. Our council will refer you to food bank, also if you are on prepayment meters and phone your supplier they should give you extra emergency credit if you explain, British Gas put an extra £10 on my meter when my JSA was late going in.

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Feb-14 17:03:33

Hi all,

Thanks for your reports.

As ever, we do advise all our members to be aware that not everyone on t'internet is who they say they are, and that, although we're awed daily by the astonishing support our members give each other through life's trickier twists and turns, we'd always caution anyone never to give more of themselves to another poster, emotionally or financially, than they can afford to spare.

Wishing you all the best Superpar1313

FourAndDone Fri 07-Feb-14 17:36:54

Have you got something sorted op?

DrewsWife Fri 07-Feb-14 17:54:47

go to Salvation Army, they provide food parcels and lunch clubs, I know as I am a memeber, not from that corps though... but i know just how much help they have in place. The one in Govan is fab. but Any salvation army will help... look up your local one and give them a call. they will make sure someone is available to meet you and make sure you have enough

littleredsquirrel Fri 07-Feb-14 18:00:47

Do you have any points on a tesco clubcard/sainsburys reward card/Boots advantage card that you can use to buy food.

Gurdwara will feed you and your DC.

PerpendicularVince Sat 08-Feb-14 06:35:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: