Talk

Advanced search

Anyone want to join me for a no spend week?

(40 Posts)
BigBirthdayGloom Mon 03-Feb-14 19:32:34

I'm going to try it-the grocery shoppings done and really this is about me not spending for emotional reasons. I fritter money that we don't have a lot of on magazines, coffees out, treats for the children. I figure having at least one spending free week a month will really help. Sorry if there's another thread like this-had a quick scan and didn't see one.
Anyway, I'm starting from tomorrow and the main things I'm going to watch for are:
Non essential driving-I often drive to get dd2 to sleep
Magazines-going to read a book or craft instead
Chocolate and snacks-going to bake using what we have in the house
Coffee-going to make at home
And I'm going to avoid town like the plague!

NumptyNu Mon 03-Feb-14 21:17:34

I'm in!

BigBirthdayGloom Mon 03-Feb-14 21:34:56

Yay! At least two! I haven't told dh. Just hoping he'll notice a healthier bank balance!

Dosey Mon 03-Feb-14 21:40:55

I can't do this week i needs top ups but maybe next week. I need to organise myself

wifey6 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:44:10

i'm definitely in! I use coupons a lot so I decided this week that I wouldn't buy things we didn't need (treats for the children, lunch out etc) & only use my coupons. which would make what I buy very cheap, if not free.

ameliarose2012 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:44:49

I'm in! My main problem is 'popping' into ASDA on the way home from work. End up spending a bloody fortune! xxx

BigBirthdayGloom Mon 03-Feb-14 21:46:11

Hoping to make it a habit, dosey-see you next time? Could you join in if you allowed top ups and gave each person a "joker" item to play if needed? I just realised I don't have much coffee and I fear I may fall off the spending wagon if I'm not allowed to buy some! I just added up my not strictly necessary spending last week and felt a little bit sick.

BigBirthdayGloom Mon 03-Feb-14 21:47:55

Asda is my nemesis too! Each item may be cheap but I end up with stuff I'd have made do without. Avoiding asda is key to my success here.

bishbashboosh Mon 03-Feb-14 21:50:50

I'm in too

ameliarose2012 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:51:08

I want to get an accounts diary to track my spending (tried an app but I like things written down). But that would count as a non-essential spend right? Especially as I work in a school and have access to pretty much unlimited stationery! xxx

Marnieshere Mon 03-Feb-14 21:55:29

I'm in. I'm terrible with money it's actually getting me down sad I get my money at different times of the month so find it hard to manage.

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 04-Feb-14 02:51:29

here is a link to some budgeting spreadsheets kindly written by a mnetter.

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 04-Feb-14 02:52:40

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/1987219-SPREADSHEETS-for-Debt-Control-Budgeting-Mortgages-etc?

VestaCurry Tue 04-Feb-14 03:01:21

A friend of mine got media studies students to do the photography and video for free because they wanted the experience and it went into their portfolios. They did a fantastic job - v v creative and professional. The wedding video is so clever and fun.

VestaCurry Tue 04-Feb-14 03:02:01

Oops......wrong thread entirely!

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 04-Feb-14 09:10:41

Okay-first morning, short journey to dd's group and it's raining! But I dare say we won't melt. And going to bake cake today instead of buying treats to take to friend's house this evening. Started a book last night and really enjoying it. So far, so good. I'm going to treat myself to a fiver's worth of something if I manage the week.

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 04-Feb-14 18:20:03

Well, I think that counts as a good day. Not going to dwell on the sweets bought for dc-they always have some on a Tuesday and given that this is about cutting down on spending I want to do for spending's sake, for emotional reasons or because I'm being lazy, I think I'll let the £2 go.
I didn't drive to the group, I didn't buy lunch or coffee, I am still going to make cake to take to the friends and I've read a couple more chapters of my book.
How did you all do?

wifey6 Tue 04-Feb-14 19:32:52

That's great BigBirthdayGloom - what cake are you baking?
Well...we usually get the bus to DS's pre-school (don't drive & live in the middle of no - where so an absolute essential!) but today MIL gave us a lift, which saved money. I took a small packet of sweets from the million we have at home as DS's treat after pre-school instead of buying from the shop (where we always spend more than I plan) & packed snacks etc instead of buying at the shop - so I've actually spent £0.00p!
Feels really good! If I can carry on either not spending or minimal spend this week - I'm going to do the same as you BigBirthdayGloom & treat myself to £5 worth of something nice! smile
How did everyone else do?

ameliarose2012 Tue 04-Feb-14 19:42:59

I was ill today, so rushed home from work as quickly as possible. So the only thing I've paid for is my train fare to work and back (can't get rid of that expense!)

Feeling pretty good too (well, financially anyway lol) xxx

BigBirthdayGloom Wed 05-Feb-14 00:36:45

Well done wifey and ameliarose (although sorry you're ill). I actually didn't bake the cake because my friend texted to say she'd got treats in! Although she did ask me to pick up a couple of things on the way and we wouldn't ask each other for money for things like that as she often dies that for me too. It's got to be sensible - I'm not going to say that I can't get her a loaf of bread because I'm on zero spend week!
I was in the danger zone with chocolate and magazines and I got the two items for my friend-well done me!
Well done for taking snacks-wifey. I'm guilty of buying shop snacks for the dc too often. This really makes me examine my spending.
Wittier witter! Night night.

BigBirthdayGloom Wed 05-Feb-14 18:21:34

So-I had to send two lots of 50p into school but apart from that it was a no spend day and also didn't drive dd2 to get her to sleep! It's turning into a sugar and junk food detox too because I don't nip into the shop for a sneaky chocolate bar when out with dd2. How's the day been for you.

ameliarose2012 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:05:33

I've been on the couch all day today, so a win for not spending here! xxx

ameliarose2012 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:55:48

How did we all do today? I was sucked into ASDA blush as I needed apple juice and potatoes to make tea. But I did manage to get just those 2 things, and I paid on a gift card (that had a couple of pounds left on it) so really I didn't spend anything right? xxx

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 06-Feb-14 19:04:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigBirthdayGloom Thu 06-Feb-14 19:28:20

Hi Amelia rose, are you feeling better? It has to be okay to do essential spending-otherwise it's a bit ridiculous! Well done for getting what you needed and no more. I too darkened the door of asda today. We needed bread and I hadn't had time to bake so I bought a £1 pack of choc digestives. I nearly had an embarrassing moment-have given debit card to dh this week but had forgotten. Luckily, the dregs of my purse made over £3. The thing is, I normally buy match attacks and moshi cards in a Thursday and the dc didn't seem to miss them. Lesson learnt and £2 saved. Had omlette at home for third day in a row. Yummy and cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now