can I get a credit card when on benefits?

(8 Posts)
gingerchick Mon 16-Dec-13 15:53:36

I only want it for 0 percent balance transfers to try and sort my overdraft but have tried to apply for lots today and been denied, my
,credit score is good according to expedia?! Would be so grateful for help

OP’s posts: |
Mum2Fergus Mon 16-Dec-13 16:57:26

It won't be good if you've made multiple applications...from what I've seen recently you need excellent credit score and a good income to secure 0% balance transfers...could you approach your bank for a consolidation loan,or a local credit union?

gingerchick Mon 16-Dec-13 17:25:37

Don't really want to get a loan, a bit scared, probably will just struggle and try and cut back

Mum2Fergus Mon 16-Dec-13 17:50:47

Keep an eye in Credit Crunch and Money Matters threads for some money saving tips/advice...

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Dec-13 18:28:36

Speak to your bank, they might help. Have you had a free trial of credit expert? If you register with topcashback you usually get a few quid for trying it out. It won't work if you've had had one before though.

Join us on the frugal threads if you need to.

The money matters section is good.

A colleague of mine claimed hardship when she realised her credit was out of control and they reduced her interest but I don't know what they did to her credit report.

gingerchick Mon 16-Dec-13 19:23:51

Waiting for my pin for expedia or whatever its called to find out my score, will check out the frugal threads so thank you for that, going to go and talk to the bank too I'm sure all will be fine

Nojustalurker Tue 17-Dec-13 20:16:36

A loan is borrowing money now to pay back later with interest. A credit card is spending money to pay back later but usually with a higher APR than a loan. If you have a credit card which you owe. Only on then you already have a loan so don't be afraid of spending to your bank.

Advertisement

Chloebw Mon 23-Dec-13 10:47:38

Hi I work for the bank and usually the criteria is that you warm over 10k to get one. If you get disability allowance you can also qualify. There are ones out there for people who can't get bank ones but I would advise as tempting as they are don't use them the APR is just unbelievable. The banks sometimes give you them if you have plenty of savings so the best thing to do is save up and they might consider it. The advice others are giving about applying too often is also good- rejected applications do affect your credit and can do rather badly.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in