entertaining on a budget (kids party with adults)

(7 Posts)
Fuckwittery Tue 30-Apr-13 23:11:32

oooh, did I mention I'm veggie and a little bit of a foodie? I probably need to get some cous cous in there somethere?
Kids food I think I can do fine, good suggestions on here thank you! Maybe I can make some meat and veg skewers with naice bread for the grown ups. Sigh, I was hoping for cheap and fuss free.
I better start baking tomorrow!

jenduck Tue 30-Apr-13 09:16:55

Very doable! I would do:

Sandwiches (ham/cheese/jam)
Breadsticks
Batons of cucumber/carrots
Cherry tomatoes
Packets of crisps/wotsits/quavers in bowls (always looks more in bowls)
Sausage rolls
Pork pies cut into quarters
Maybe hm salsa with value tortilla crisps

Mini muffins
Fairy cakes (can get pack of 6/12 value ones in most supermarkets if you don't want to make them)
Fruit platter - cut up apples, mandarins, pineapple. Plus grapes & berries (shop late at night for these if you can to get vastly reduced)
Maybe chocolate fingers/animals?
Plus birthday cake

Big jugs of orange/blackcurrant squash for children (or water/milk)
Fizzy for adults - couple of bottles coke/lemonade.
Tea or coffee

No alcohol is fine, just don't even mention it! Although if you have a few £ spare, tesco do bucks fizz for not much more than £2 a bottle, which is nice & light & summery.

Also - do you have any Nectar points or Clubcard vouchers you can use up? If not, you may find that Aldi/Lidl go further for your money, maybe even Farmfoods.

Good luck!

Triumphoveradversity Tue 30-Apr-13 09:12:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shattereddreams Mon 29-Apr-13 23:01:55

Go to Iceland grin

christinarossetti Mon 29-Apr-13 22:58:14

Either pitta bread pizzas or mini ones made with those 70p packets you just add water to to make dough.

Popcorn

Veg sticks and houmous

Chopped fruit

Cornflake cakes

£30 plenty for 15 for party food.

Standautocorrected Mon 29-Apr-13 22:50:42

Hot dogs, chips for the children?
Range of pizzas, dips and breadstick, fruit. For adults

Ice lollies or ice cream in cones for puddings for all. I got 20 lollies for dd2's party for £2 in morrisons last week.

Dilute juice.

Fuckwittery Mon 29-Apr-13 21:20:58

I have 8 children aged between 9 and 2 coming at the weekend, and 6/7 adults.
My weekly shopping budget has gone a bit wrong this week as we went away to see friends and contributed to the food that was bought, and ate out, but I could spend £30 on the party for food.
Is this do-able? What could I make?? If I could do it on less that would be brilliant. I have most of the ingredients for the cake already.
Not serving alcohol as its lunchtime, a kids party and we don't drink, is this socially acceptable? Good enough friends that I can just say, oh I am sorry, I don't have wine as we're off it and get away with it, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now