Advanced search


(50 Posts)
butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 09:32:02

hi at the minute me and my my partner are living of his wages alone as were waiting for wtc to come through everytime we ring they find a new problem with the paper work so now its 9 weeks and still nothing of them

this week his wages went n and got snatched by bank charges and then we had to pay council tax they wouldnt wait until we get the payments through of wtc so we had to pay them 98 for the month

so now were in the situation we have not much food in and we have to get until friday so 4 days i have 2.89 to my name to get what we need

in the freezer is just frozen veg
cubpard is 1 tin beans 1 pack noodles ,hot chocolate
fridge is empty my partner needs lunch to take in to work aswell
we cant go to food bank as the one near us u can only go once in 1 month and weve been this month

i just dont no what to do or were to turn any body have any ideas sick of it all cant afford nothing thought we'd be better of with him working but its the opposite at the minute .wtc taking forever everythings just going wrong

any advice im at a loss now dont no what to do xx

Paintyourbox Tue 20-Nov-12 09:38:26

Bless you that sounds really hard.

Lets see what we can come up with. What sort of veg do you have in the freezer?

RudolphLovesoftplay Tue 20-Nov-12 09:39:07

Can u go to social services? I think they give hardship grants still. It seems to me that u literally are going to starve otherwise sad

RudolphLovesoftplay Tue 20-Nov-12 09:40:38

Sorry, that sounded much worse than I intended it to. I just meant that sometimes everybody is down on their luck. Social services will help xx

LauriesFairyonthetreeeatsCake Tue 20-Nov-12 09:41:23

Crisis loan from DSS?

pawn something until you can afford to buy it back? Can you borrow from someone (if one of my friends asked me I'd happily help as it's such a short term problem)?

Oodthunkit Tue 20-Nov-12 09:42:30

Job centre/CAB or try MPs office re claim.

butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 09:44:48

i have some brocolli in there ,2 bags of sweetcorn and garden peas

just found some cheesey waffles lirking in there some fish fingers and nuggets so my son will be fed ok its just going to be me and my partner i have a loaf in the freezer to i was in panic mode b4 didnt look properly so breakfasts is taken care off

my sons at school for lunch aswell he has hot dinners so he gets a good meal at school plus snack aswell dont want people to think he will starve its just me and my partner really well i think my son would be ok

i did ring ss at the begining as dwp wouldnt help us but they said they dont do that now as theres food banks so im guessing people can only be in trouble once a month


PuggyMum Tue 20-Nov-12 09:46:21

Do you have friends/family/neighbours who would rustle up a dinner for you?

Also, have you spoken to the bank? If they can refund some charges that would help. Are you going to be charged again? Once charges kick in it can be a vicious cycle. If the bank won't help, ask to speak to someone higher... They will refund something surely?

butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 09:49:46

no theres only really me and my partner we have a strange family lol and we chose not be involved with al lthe family dramas created by both our familys so no they wont help .and my brothers are younger than me so they wouldnt be able to .

i did speak to them last week and they refused to refund me anything will give them a call now see what thet say xx

butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 09:50:31

they took charges last week aswell thats why i spoke to them then but will ring now x

butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 09:53:30

we got refused for a crisis loan i just assumed once you were no longer on benefits you couldnt have one

we litterally have no one to borrow off .going to have a look round now see what i can sell well will do when ive got of the phone there is probably a solution a simple one i just panicked thanks for all the replys and advice xx

PuggyMum Tue 20-Nov-12 09:57:55

Don't ring. Go into the bank and ask to speak to someone. If they won't help ask for the manager / speak to area manager. They need to make the account so you can't go overdrawn and incur more charges. If you are paying charges due to direct debits bouncing etc. Cancel them and call the companies to let them know you are struggling and pay by standing order so you are in control.

butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 10:01:12

thanks puggy mum .it is a basic account but when they charge us and theres no money in it takes us overdrawn but yet if i asked for an overdraft i get turned down so dont think its fair what they do ,going to nip to the bank now and fingers crossed they help me .will be back on as soon as i can to update on the situation .some one mentioned the mp about our claim for wtc how do i do that and is it worth nipping to cab aswell why im out to see if they can help with the wtc people ? xx

Paintyourbox Tue 20-Nov-12 10:07:02

I have PM'd you

legalalien Tue 20-Nov-12 10:18:56

Might also be worth giving your local councillor a call to see if he has any ideas. Will pm you the number

butane123 Tue 20-Nov-12 10:21:43

thank you legal alien that will be a big help xx

PuggyMum Tue 20-Nov-12 12:26:00

If the bank refuses to help and you are speaking to cab etc. make sure you tell them. I am sure banks have a code of ethics where they are supposed to help people in distress. Check out your banks website and see what it says. Then quote them back. I used to work in a branch and we had more leeway to refund years ago. I'm not sure how it works these days.

Adversecamber Tue 20-Nov-12 12:42:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ifso Tue 20-Nov-12 12:57:18

ok. hang in there

chicken nuggets


tin beans

can you for 4 days do:

divide the tin of beans into portions and keep in fridge, have on toast
noodles cooked up with some broccoli
nuggets and peas

can you spend a pound and buy in your nearest tesco if you have one? or cheapo store?:

- go late and see if any markdowns

Oodthunkit Tue 20-Nov-12 13:19:55

adverse she's already said about food bank only dies once a month

jan2013 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:24:20

can you look at local churches and see if they have any free coffee mornings... that way you will get free drink and snack and also you can let the church know you are in need and i like to think they would be able to help you out.

LadyKooKoo Tue 20-Nov-12 13:48:40

If you are in the West Midlands I will bring you some food.

MadameCastafiore Tue 20-Nov-12 13:52:56

Where are you, I'll bring you some food if you live near me.

cafebistro Tue 20-Nov-12 13:56:05

Where in the country are you ?

LadyMaryChristmas Tue 20-Nov-12 14:00:48

You're all lovely people. The OP, as are most of mumsnet, are just people, strangers on the internet. You know nothing about them, and have no idea if the information you are being given is correct. All you can do is point them in the right direction of help.

Op, please go to the CAB. They will be able to help you. The food banks often bend the rules if there is a real need, so don't worry about going again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: