Talk

Advanced search

Foooooood

(6 Posts)

Honestly - what do you spend on food each week? And where? Going food shopping tomorrow and going to see if I can be frugal! Don't have high hopes to be honest. Got slow cooker, so will try and do maybe two meals in that this week, only issue being that I have a very fussy 4yr old :\

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Sep-12 19:57:59

£30 to £35 for 2 adults and a cat.

Add it all up on a calculator as you go round. I find that helps

Catrin Sat 22-Sep-12 21:42:19

Depends on what frugal means to you, really. Just me and a 6yo - if i don't need lots of household bits (cleaning/washing/cat food etc) can do it for £30-35 and that can even be from Waitrose.
If we have a week where I am money watching, we eat jacket potatoes, eggs, baked beans, pasta etc. I make good use of the freezer, so always have a meal or two from that each week.
Essentially - only buy what you absolutely need, do not buy anything because you fancy it and do not buy alcohol. If you need fruit, markets are cheaper.

cazinge Sun 23-Sep-12 00:18:43

We spend c£35 at Aldi for 2 adults plus a top-up shop at Tesco or such like for bits we can't get at Aldi about once every couple of months which is normally c£80 but includes a lot of vege stuff (incl. branded e.g. Quorn).

If you are trying to save money then soup is your friend! A big pan of vegetable-based soup (4-6 portions) should cost about £2-3 and can be used for one or two dinners a week plus lunches at work or as a starter for your Sunday roast so you don't need as much meat, etc.

Soup is also good if not your not a v confident cook as its quite hard to get soup wrong! Minimal effort too, I always do blended soups because then you don't have to chop the veg neatly and my hand blender was less than a fiver from Wilkos. It will use up veg that is going soft to save chucking and can be bulked out with lentils (red are best for blended).

Can you tell I like soup grin

My other tip would be never throw any leftovers - even if its half a portion pop it in a tuppeware and bung in the freezer. A small portion of chilli/bolognaise, etc can make a topping for a Jacket Potato or pasta can be a lunch at work.

Great, thank you!

Looking for ways to cut our bill, spending £60+ pw for 2 adults, 2 kids. And having nothing left by the end of the week, must be going wrong somewhere down the line!

racingheart Sat 29-Sep-12 16:50:32

Currently around £70 pw for 2 adults, 2 kids and 3 pets.
Was £100 plus school dinner money but now I meal plan and buy far fewer snacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now