Talk

Advanced search

healthy cheap snacks to keep in house for hungry teen ds

(20 Posts)
booksinbed Thu 20-Sep-12 11:24:51

Ds age 15 suddenly gets hungry - head s stright for the treat basket which has breakfast bars ,choc in it....not so good for him, plus costly.have tried doing homemade cake but he doesnt seem to see it !!! doesnt like flapjack.have put garilc and corriander nans out with peanuts as a decoy!!! - loves the nans - ignores the nuts-not keen cereal ....any suggestions??? -i know if theres any choc in house he will go for it so am trying to find decent alternatives.........anybody alse got similar situation and any tips ????i can make sure i offer variety when im in but its when im out ...!!

booksinbed Thu 20-Sep-12 11:25:44

ooops sorry may seem to be in incorrect thread but its not really as im trying to reduce costs of snacks which seem v high !!!!

BlackberryIce Thu 20-Sep-12 11:32:48

Well I bake! Doesn't take long and it does all go

Soup and bread?
Crackers?
My ds has cereal. Lots of
Toast

booksinbed Thu 20-Sep-12 12:37:35

I do bake- i love it- but it gets ignored in favour of brunch bars and choc - maybe - i should just bake and decline to get choc in - !! ahhh good plan???!!

Eve Thu 20-Sep-12 13:14:40

Mine go through a lot of crumpets. With butter, spreadie cheese or jam

luckylavender Fri 21-Sep-12 08:56:51

Mine goes through the noodles you can buy in Chinese supermarkets - around 39p per bag, tasty, quite healthy and just need to boil the kettle. Come in lots of flavours.

slalomsuki Fri 21-Sep-12 09:00:08

It's toast and crumpets in our house. Sometimes with cheese. Buy a cheap loaf just for toasting.

Will try the baking though.

FIFIBEBE Fri 21-Sep-12 09:04:21

My son eats loads of rice cakes, packets of them.

ihatethecold Fri 21-Sep-12 09:09:56

It's cheapo chicken noodles in this house

PropositionJoe Fri 21-Sep-12 09:16:26

Just stop buying the expensive stuff, he'll eat what's there. Toast, cake, noodles. Whatever!

Kazriina Fri 21-Sep-12 09:25:34

I make giant choc prezels,big bag is like £1.49 plus the cost of a big choc bar. A little effort but I find myself only eating one maybe2

Himalaya Fri 21-Sep-12 09:28:41

Another vote for cheapo noodles here!

Vajazzler Fri 21-Sep-12 09:51:43

Popcorn that you pop yourself? A big bag of kernels is about £1. Makes about 7 big bowls.

nannyl Fri 21-Sep-12 14:01:01

more votes for crumpets

i always buy the value / savers brands and they seem fine to me.... 8 for 35p ish!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:19:44

Protein keeps you fuller for longer, hard boiled eggs? aldi tuna in tuna mayo wraps etc, smartprice cheese?.

I always tell dh if he doesnt want to eat what I'm offering (eg an apple) then he cant be that hungry. Always goes down a treat.

Try padding meals out with bread and butter, like our nans used to!.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:20:46

Btw, if you dont buy it they wont go out and fetch it. We dont have choc or crisps in the house.

booksinbed Thu 27-Sep-12 13:59:20

thanks all - the cheap noodles with cheese on are a massive hit !!!!

racingheart Fri 28-Sep-12 14:47:48

I agree with fluffy. Don't buy snacks. Cheap toasting bread, popcorn & noodles are good. Basics range biscuits. (30p for a packet of shortbread or 33p for Rich Tea at Sainsbury's.)

Today I'm making fridge cake for DCs friends coming for sleepover. 30p for 100g chocolate Sainsbury basic range, 33p for rich tea. A few sultanas and chopped nuts from store cupboard, dollop of syrup and butter. The whole lot will come to around £1 for 16 slices.

charlottehere Fri 28-Sep-12 14:51:39

Some good ideas on here. My 3 never stop eating, although probably less as they are quite a bit younger. Mine like crisps, cereal bars, fruit, toast, chocolate crossiants, cereal, yogurts. Just been to lidl to stock up.

racingheart Fri 28-Sep-12 17:41:33

I know Poundland has a bad press recently, but if you go to the 99p store, they often have multipack bags of naice crisps (McCoys, Seabrook) boxes of nuts, packs of waffles and brioches. Less than 1/2 the price of elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now