How to 'do' a Christening without spending too much?

(19 Posts)
SlinkyPebbles Sun 19-Aug-12 21:53:16

We'd love to have our DD2 christened soon, but with DH out of work, things are tight. Has anyone ever organized a Christening on a budget? Any idea re catering and what guests will expect? Any interesting horror or success stories?

OP’s posts: |
Parisbanana Sun 19-Aug-12 21:58:13

When dd was Christened, there was me, dh and dd, 2 sets of grandparents and 2 aunts and uncles. After the service, we had lunch at our house which we had sorted out beforehand, lasagnes and salads and stuff.
It was lovely. There is no need, imo, to spend money on a party.

SlinkyPebbles Sun 19-Aug-12 22:03:16

That sounds great banana. I was actually shifting towards the idea of grandparents and godparents only, with lunch afterwards, but was fretting over organizing a meal for what feels like a lot of people. Prepping in advance could work.smile

SlinkyPebbles Sun 19-Aug-12 22:04:28

I guess I'm feeling guilty as DD1 had a big 'do'. We were better off then though. sad

Parisbanana Sun 19-Aug-12 22:09:50

Don't feel guilty. How many people do you think it would be, realistically? We have a very small family so didn't risk offending anyone. Immediate family only so no one felt left out (as far as I know!)
I did 2 large lasagnes, one meat one vege, lots of salad, crusty bread. Can't remember deserts but guess they were cold (cheesecakes, fruit salad)
It really was a lovely day and dd, who was a bit older (18 months or so, not a baby) felt really in the thick of it and not lost in dozens of extended family members and friends.

InMySpareTime Mon 20-Aug-12 07:08:32

We combined DDs christening with DSs birthday party. Both were in the house with friends and family, people brought their own bottles. Total cost was about £50 (8 years ago though), and everyone had a great time.

SlinkyPebbles Mon 20-Aug-12 14:26:42

Good idea SpareTime. Thanks for that one too.

Advertisement

YeahThatsTheBadger Mon 20-Aug-12 14:43:47

DS2 was christened a few weeks ago. We made homemade pizzas the night before, other buffet type stuff, salads, nice breads, dips etc. Made a few sponges for pudding. Only had tea/coffee/soft drinks. Everyone seemed happy.
Like InMySpareTime says, people can bring their own bottle if anyone wants alcohol.

Don't worry too much about what people will expect. Something simple to eat(big pot of curry/chilli etc?) and drink is all that you need.

SlinkyPebbles Tue 21-Aug-12 08:13:27

Thanks badger. A joint effort would be good if I can get some rockets to put up the *rses of DH's lot! grin

EdithWeston Tue 21-Aug-12 08:34:13

I don't think there is a Church fee for the Christening itself, but there is a fee of about £12 for the certificate (often waived for regular parishioners). It is however normal to make a donation to the Church.

Assuming a Christening in the normal morning service, this means it's lunchtime by the time you finish. There is no need to offer food after a Christening - tea and cake in the Church Hall afterwards is sufficient - but I would prefer to feed guests if I've invited them over normal meal times.

Buffet in the Church Hall or at home would probably be easiest/cheapest - do remember to include the priest!

StuckInTheFensAwayFromHome Tue 21-Aug-12 08:43:21

All the christenings I've been to are of the cheap and cheerful variety - service at church and then back to family home for a party - bbq or buffet. (Am so glad christenings have not followed the wedding path generally)
As a guest I guess I just expect a bit of food - but nothing fancy and booze wise if its at a family home I'd take some wine and beer and wouldn't expect host to provide all the alcohol. (Although if hosting I'd want to provide some drinks like a bowl of punch or pimms, and some soft drinks for drivers)

lilbreeze Tue 21-Aug-12 09:00:51

We just invited close family and had a cold buffet at home. Quite a few people were driving so not much alcohol was drunk. We weren't even trying to save money - I just though this was normal for christenings!

charlottehere Tue 21-Aug-12 09:03:20

Church then cheapy meal at yours.

BikeMedalsRunningMedals Tue 21-Aug-12 09:43:31

Church hall, tea, biscuits.
It's a christening, not a wedding reception.

SlinkyPebbles Tue 21-Aug-12 21:10:19

Thanks all for your reassurance that something simple is all that is required. I'm more at ease now, so thanks!

LeenaJacob Thu 23-Aug-12 12:32:21

Don't feel guilty, a Christening isn't about the money. We had about 20 at ours, but as its all family no one expects expensive food. We just put on loads of nibbles, pizza, nuggets, chips, sandwiches etc, and had it in our house, im lucky that our living/dining room is all in one. then we just gave everyone a little thank you, we gave them each a really nice picture of our little one and a little message in a bottle, the mini ones we got loads of these (http://www.babycelebrations.co.uk/naming-day-favours-diy-favours-c-585_925_1485.html ). I just wrote down a quote that reminded me of them and a thank you message

Hopeforever Thu 23-Aug-12 12:36:01

Would the church lend you the hall (if they have one) so that you could do a bring and share lunch if your house isn't big enough?

Personally I prefer to be invited to a family /close friends Baby's christening and be asked to bring some food and a bottle than not be included due to cost

SlinkyPebbles Fri 24-Aug-12 22:03:55

Your kindness of spirit humbles me.

SlinkyPebbles Fri 24-Aug-12 22:05:17

Of course people would like to come with a plate of food than not at all. Why couldn't I see that clearly myself????

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in