Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about slow cookers

(28 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Sun 12-Aug-12 21:23:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cathycat Sun 12-Aug-12 21:41:26

Yes it saves money in the long run. I put mine on on a Wednesday when I know I'll be latest from work and it means that I have something ready saving the temptation to buy fish and chips or similar. I often do chicken breast in sauce then I just need to cook veg and rice with it. Also I often use them to bung in veg that's just turning and to make a quick soup that I can just leave. It means that you can buy cheaper meats and they soften up well.

ninah Sun 12-Aug-12 21:45:42

they are superb! what model? don't think it matters, I bought a cheap supermarket one. Stick meat veg and seasoning in in the morning and that's it! Key is not too much liquid. Lentils and pulses, pearl barley are good additions. I cook by trial and error rather than by recipe but I am sure there are plenty online

Elizabeth22 Mon 13-Aug-12 09:19:24

ValiumQueen Wed 15-Aug-12 11:49:56

Just get a cheap one from the supermarket. I should use mine more.

Elizabeth22 Wed 15-Aug-12 13:55:21

ValiumQueen Wed 15-Aug-12 14:39:59

Tesco and Asda around £15 according to their websites. Amazon about the same with free delivery, and branded eg Morphy Richards. You could probably find cheaper if you had a good look. Very cheap to run (think light bulb)

Bosgrove Wed 15-Aug-12 19:33:25

I do gammon at least once a week in ours (which is a cheap £10 one from Tescos, it is a few years old so prices may have gone up). I get a value range odd cut of gammon (which costs about £4) and stick it in the cooker in the morning with either water or some apple juice if I have any knocking around. Come tea time it is lovely with chips or jacket potato and salad etc, and the next day the leftovers are great in sandwiches.

Elizabeth22 Thu 16-Aug-12 06:59:53

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 16-Aug-12 07:04:25

I love to do gammon (when I'm not pregnant).

I pour a can/bottle of cider over the top. It's yum.

fivegomadindorset Thu 16-Aug-12 07:05:35

Ham hock is done regulalry here, and then soup made out of the stock.

ValiumQueen Thu 16-Aug-12 07:19:08

You can do a chicken in it. Just wash the chicken and put it in. Nothing else needed. It will fall off the bone, so not that appealing to look at, but if you are using chicken in a recipe it is so easy. You get way more off than if you roast and carve, and it is so moist.

It is better to use lower quality cuts. I find lean meats and chicken breasts do not do well unless cooked for a short period, which isn't always possible if at work. You can also make pâté, puddings and porridge overnight.

Have a google for recipes, and I find pinterest is very good too. Often called a crock pot. Anyone for an all in one overnight breakfast??? <<drool>>

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-Aug-12 08:55:58

I have the asda one, very pleased with it.

Theres a thread in the food section about slow cookers, if you cook things too long sometimes it goes wrong.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food/1453155-Two-meals-slow-cooked-so-far-Two-piles-of-inedible-slop.

I've cooked meat in mine and soups. Dont forget to put homemade dumplings in, using real suet not palm oil veg suet which is grown by destroying orangutans habitat and killing the orangutans for a bounty. (bunny hugger).

Real dumplings are way nicer than veg suet dumplings and they only need to be little or you feel too full. I put mine in 20-30 mins before serving and they a lovely.

LoopyLa Wed 22-Aug-12 08:00:01

Interesting thread! May I hijack/ask a question? Are there any good starter/beginner cookbooks for slow cooking please? Will be a first time mum soon and I'm a complete novice in the kitchen

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Aug-12 12:47:24

I'd imagine so loopy, but the librarys the place to go. Just make a note of the return dates so you dont get fines.

Says the girl with £60 in fines she cant pay who cant go to the library again.

LoopyLa Wed 22-Aug-12 15:00:55

Fluffyclouds thanks for the tip, I shall have to fish out my card - and I've seen loads of your tips on being thrifty & frugal, so thank you for those too! smile

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Aug-12 16:40:37

Heres a download to start you off

If I was that good at it loopy I wouldnt have library fines! and have a block on dh's library card because I had a late book but paid the fine and he doesnt know his library card is blocked until he next comes to use it

<practices innocent look> blush

fergoose Wed 22-Aug-12 16:43:07

if you are making stew, curry etc always use less liquid than you usually would. Liquid does not evaporate like it would when you cook on the hob or in the oven, so make you need to add far less in a slow cooker. Also don't keep lifting the lid, apparently this adds 30 minutes to your cooking time.

dementedma Thu 23-Aug-12 22:09:44

Slow cookers are great for bolgnese, really delicious

stickyLFDTfingers Thu 23-Aug-12 22:21:27

I borrowed a book from a friend and thought it was so useful bought it myself too. Am a slow cooked newbie but what I've made so far has been lovely. So far a couple of chicken dhansaks, bolognese, sausage casserole, meatballs in barbecue sauce and rice pudding. Lovely how it doesn't mind "sitting" so if we have dinner at 8pm rather than 6pm there's no problem.

this is the book I bought - 500 recipes gives you the basic ideas so you can modify to your own tastes

Gingerodgers Fri 24-Aug-12 05:00:25

I use mine for any mince thing, stew or soup. Have tried a 'roast' chicken in it, but I def over cooked it. Really good for cheaper cuts, very winter food.

Ithinkineedtogrowapair Tue 28-Aug-12 12:06:45

hello just found this, and looking at slow cookers so very useful.

tell me do you have a 3 ish litre one or a 6 ish litre one?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 28-Aug-12 18:28:13

We've got a 3ltr one but it's only the two of us so thats plenty, If I had loads of kids I'd get a 6ltr one and a deep freeze and batch cook everything in sight.

higgle Sun 09-Sep-12 20:57:58

Rice pudding is easy and yummy in slow cooker.

katspaw Thu 13-Sep-12 12:28:48

As has been said above, with stews, make the mix as illiquid as possible (otherwise expect a watery slop).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now