The "You know when you're skint when" ers - the Summer edition!

(12 Posts)
FoofFighter Fri 29-Jun-12 17:19:04

I was just wondering how all the people on the "You know you're skint when..." were getting on? Summer holidays are looming (or here if you are in Scotland eek!) and it can be a very expensive time.

Thought it might be useful to have some hints and tips for a cheap/free summer.

Light at the end of the tunnel here, have got a job and hopefully things will ease once we've paid off a few debts in full the first few months smile

OP’s posts: |
stressedHEmum Fri 29-Jun-12 18:54:54

Foof, that's brilliant that you have got a job grin Well done!

I don't really have many tips for a cheap summer holiday because, sadly, we live in an area that has almost nothing for kids to do - no play parks, nothing. And when you have a bunch of kids and travel by bus, even things that should be cheap, aren't.

Things that go down well, here, are; garden picnics; building tents out of blankets, garden chairs and clothes pegs; playing Pooh sticks off the bridge on the walk to the nearest park; foraging for wild raspberries and woodland strawberries (don't think this will work this summer); water balloon fights; treasure hunting on walks through the wood (find an oak leaf, spot a tree creeper type thing) and making pictures from the assorted guff they collect(younger ones only).

Most of my kids are bigger, now, and want to do their own thing most of the time but when they were younger, they liked to paint on the pavement with water (no mess to annoy the neighbours), play hopscotch, elastics etc. Also a game where they had to throw beanbags into my washing basket and other receptacles placed at different distances. You can make obstacle courses from hula hoops, play tunnels, beanbags and balls.

You can make cheap ice lollies by freezing Angel Delight type stuff in lolly moulds, also the juice from tinned fruit - get your money's worth. A cheap summery snack is apple smiles - slice up an apple, spread the slices with peanut butter and top with a few mini marshmallows for teeth. Stick another peanut buttery slice on top to give a smile.

A lot of LAs have a summer programme of things for kids to do. My friend lives in an area where a lot of these are free - arts and crafts clubs, sports things etc. Also some libraries have a summer programme of events. So it's worth checking your council website.

AnyoneForTennis Fri 29-Jun-12 20:08:34

Taking up geocaching saved me a few summers back. It's now a family hobby.

MsOnatopp Wed 04-Jul-12 14:43:04

Weekly shop for £8.99....

but hey, it's a new month, not as tight this month... phew. June was hard!

BlueSlipper Wed 04-Jul-12 20:23:31

£8.99? shock what does that buy? How many do you feed?

[not judging by the way, just in awe of resourcefulness]

MsOnatopp Wed 04-Jul-12 21:11:13

I had three days worth of left over chicken drumstick/thighs and a couple of days of bacon.

So I bought a bag of carrots and a bag of tatties, some pears and apples, drinks, bread and what not, and a couple of other bits. So I can make chicken hot pot, chicken tomato casserole with rice (had a left over pepper in the fridge), chicken with jacket tatties and carrots and peas, bacon rice and peas thingy, and bacon peas and pasta thingy. Will have dinner with folks on Sunday and Sat night too.

Only me and little DS so we'll be fine.

We made biscuits too so we have some snacks other than fruit.

smile We're fine now. It's a new month and my food budget can go back to normal.

Just had loads of unexpected things to pay for all in the one month.

BlueSlipper Wed 04-Jul-12 21:15:20

<bows in more awe>

Advertisement

Kazriina Wed 04-Jul-12 21:15:26

Has anyone checked to see if your council runs a summer scheme? I worked on one a few years back and we gave the kids 2 meals a day plus activities for 4 weeks. It was run by a church project but funded by the council, might be worth looking into? It was in the Leeds area of that helps anyone, but I'm sure other councils must do something

InMySpareTime Thu 05-Jul-12 07:32:52

Library is a must, as is the park.
Foraging is great, DCs often take a hessian bag out on their bikes, and come back with it full of apples. We make apple pie/crumble/sauce/juice/cake/biscuits as an activity and snackgrin.
My easily exploited DCs race each other to clean rooms in the house.
I got a day's entertainment out of a large tray of eggs last summer (£3IIRC). I challenged the DCs (mine and some neighbours and friends') to drop the eggs from an upstairs window without breaking them. A couple of hours planning and a couple of hours testing, lots of imaginative solutions, the DCs still mention that day.
They were actually very good at not breaking them, 9 of the 15 were intact at the end, we got a quiche and an omelette out of them that weekgrin.
In summary, £3 bought a day's child entertainment for 10DCs, and two family meals for 4smile.

simpson Tue 10-Jul-12 00:16:36

Library is a must

Local children's centre worth checking out, ours is doing trips for free or very little £££ to local petting zoos, parks, canal trips etc

therealmrsk Wed 11-Jul-12 15:36:00

It's the entertainment for the adults that I struggle with grin. I've never been so skint, so this month has been a real wake up call. I have to say Tesco Everyday Value items have been a life saver.

alwaysbored Mon 13-Aug-12 22:02:16

plain pasta for my and my ds for last 2 daysad thats running out fast will be like this for 7 more kind of misjudged when a bill was due leaving us with nothing as it took it straight from my bank sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in