When batch cooking...

(16 Posts)
signet2012 Fri 22-Jun-12 15:53:04

What do you store your food in to put in the freezer... I have being using tupperware pack lunch box kind of size things but my freezer is quite small and can only fit two of these in a drawer, only have three drawers.

I have purchased different sizes, thinner ones, smaller ones etc but they dont seem to last long before they crack or I lose the lids

OP’s posts: |
Gettheetoanunnery Fri 22-Jun-12 15:56:10

Depends who's likely to eat it and what it is.
I have some small 400ml size containers that are perfect for things like bolognese and casserole for ds. I use a slightly bigger size for myself and dp.

I have a smallish freezer and currently have around 15 tubs in there along with various other bits and bobs

Mum2Fergus Fri 22-Jun-12 16:18:28

Again, depends what it is...I use a mix of foil trays (like the takeaway ones) and freezer bags...

HarriettJones Fri 22-Jun-12 16:22:54

Takeaway tubs usually.

blibblibs Fri 22-Jun-12 16:24:16

I've found washing out old margarine tubs is good for this

Gettheetoanunnery Fri 22-Jun-12 17:09:09

I've also got a cupboard full of old shop bought soup containers that are perfect for home made soup!

signet2012 Fri 22-Jun-12 17:37:11

I saw the foil pots in asda but they seemed a bit expensive for a one use thing? I think they where 2.99 for 6.

Where do you get yours?

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

danebury Fri 22-Jun-12 19:20:54

I buy something called Tubits from Tesco - they're quite cheap and are basically the same plastic tubs that our takeaway place uses. They also do ones which are two sided - so you could have rice or potato in one section.

Periodically I lose ALL the lids and have to start over smile

Mum2Fergus Fri 22-Jun-12 20:19:25

I stock up my containers in Poundland.

RedHelenB Sat 23-Jun-12 08:18:53

I use freezer bags!!!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 23-Jun-12 14:05:54

Another Tubits user. They get washed and reused lots of times. Also those 'Pour and Store' bags for soups and stock.

MrsHuxtable Sat 23-Jun-12 23:57:18

When I did all my batch cooking in preparation for DD's birth, I used freezer bags. You squeeze all the air out and only need minimal space in the freezer. I fitted meals for 2 weeks in one drawer!!!

Fizzylemonade Sun 24-Jun-12 20:13:14

I buy in bulk as I shop at Costco so when I buy mince I divide it into 400g freezer bags and I squish them flat so I can stack them, plus they defrost quicker than if they are in a big lump, same for chicken (13 breasts in a pack) and salmon.

I am lucky enough to have a larder freezer in the garage, so bolognaise/chilli I do in tupperware stuff from Lakeland that stacks. It also helps me portion them out. I use freezer bags unless forced into using tupperware.

Do you know anyone with a Makro card? They are better than Costco for catering items, you can see all their prices on their website, but I am no good at judging sizes unless I see it in real life lots of pages of products here I don't know if it would be cheaper from there though.

I would only get the disposable foil ones if I was doing lasagne as the frozen lasagne is taking up my bakeware that I may want to use for something else.

nomoreminibreaks Sun 24-Jun-12 20:14:25

I use freezer bags too. Once sealed I lie them down flat in the freezer and they take up no room at all.

bigkidsdidit Sun 24-Jun-12 20:15:38

If ou use those foil trays can you put them straight in the oven? Do you defrost first? I batch cook for DS and put in Avent screw top pots but dot know how to freeze enough for me and DH...

Mum2Fergus Sun 24-Jun-12 20:28:49

I usually take out if freezer in the morn and it has defrosted by time I get home from work, but have cooked from frozen too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in