Talk

Advanced search

cancelling sky - freesat help please!

(14 Posts)
Ispywith Thu 19-Jan-12 14:01:01

Ok, I am going to take the plunge and cancel sky. We only really use it for recording and watching recorded rubbish (Eastenders and Neighbours - sad I know)! We do not have an ariel but is it true you can just cancel sky and still get "normal" TV through your dish? I don't mind getting the freesat box (cheap one without record £30 ish) - does that mean you get some better channels? We will just use iplayer on laptop to watch missed episodes of programmes. or is does anyone know of a good box to record with? I don't know much do I! Basically don't want to pay £25 a month anymore! please advise oh clever credit crunchers!!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 19-Jan-12 14:04:57

I've got a freesat box, was my christmas present from inlaws last year

There is loads more channels than standard freeview - as many as you get through an unsubscribed Sky box. You can get freesat from Sky too, which means you get the likes of sky1/2/3 and atlantic (I think) which you don't get on normal frees much they charge to switch it for you.

diedandgonetodevon Thu 19-Jan-12 15:18:55

You won't need a new box, just cancel the Sky and use the box- you'll get all the free to air channels still through your old box. You should still be able to use the box to record.

Punchthosecalories Thu 19-Jan-12 15:39:00

Would you be still able to use the remote and the recording wow! I had no idea. We will be doing this when our contract is up in April for certain!

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Thu 19-Jan-12 15:40:14

You can get freeview through your sky box. You won't be able to record though... That's subscription only.

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Thu 19-Jan-12 15:41:16

Recording will not work... Sky are crafty they do it through subscription it's not a feature of the sky box.

stressheaderic Mon 19-Mar-12 21:14:53

I want to downgrade my Sky subscription over the summer, as there's no footy but plenty of free sport (Olympics, Euros) to keep DP going. Can I downgrade and then re-upgrade in Aug/Sept?
£55 a month is far more than I'm happy with.

IllegitimateGruffaloChild Tue 20-Mar-12 08:32:38

We've cancelled sky.

Recording features no longer work. It's very liberating.

MarynotBeSarcastic Tue 20-Mar-12 08:39:42

stressheaderic, downgrade and tell them its because of the cost. Then wait for them to make you special offers to upgrade again.

lesstalkmoreaction Tue 20-Mar-12 08:45:47

If you ring to cancel ask if there are any offers on, if not then cancel and they will bombard you with offers to reconnect for the next 6 months.
I pay £39 a month for the full package of movies and sports for a year but i'm still going to cancel in October and see if they offer something for xmas. I'm going to buy a freeview + box for recording and pausing live tv.

IllegitimateGruffaloChild Tue 20-Mar-12 08:46:26

YY to them suddenly coming out with loads of offers.

Pascha Tue 20-Mar-12 08:50:55

We have had sky freesat for years. You get all the free channels. No sky 1 or 2 or atlantic though. No recording capability, we have a separate DVD/HDD recorder. Its better than freeview in channel choice, unless you really like Dave, which we don't get.

Sky supply a viewing card, you need this or you don't get anything. Google "sky freesat" for the info.

nickelhasababy Wed 21-Mar-12 15:06:33

no, you won't be able to record.
but you will still be able to use the reminder feature.

ameliaesmith Tue 19-Apr-16 12:01:10

Hi I recognise I'm 4 years late to this thread but there doesnt seem to be anything recent on this and I dont want to start a new post!

DH and I hardly use sky so we're trying to cancel, I rang them yesterday and they were very unhelpful and I made absolutely No progress, they just kept passing me around and in the end I just gave up as I had been on the phone for 30 minutes and hadnt got anywhere near cancelling it! It's really wound me up!

Anyone got any tips for getting it done quickly? I've been reading a couple of articles like this one on cancelling sky but it all seems to lengthy and complicated and I dont want to spend forever on the phone! Please help! Cant face going through all that again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now