Talk

Advanced search

How much do you budget for clothes?

(16 Posts)
LingDiLong Sun 02-Oct-11 21:27:03

If you're on a tight budget...how much do you budget for, for children and for adults?

I'm trying to work out a much more comprehensive budget and this is something I always get stuck on. I buy clothes as and when they're needed and how much I spend is dependent on how much money we have at the time. So sometimes it's ebay, sometimes it's high street.

cat64 Sun 02-Oct-11 21:38:04

Message withdrawn

LingDiLong Sun 02-Oct-11 21:41:26

Oh yes, sorry I should have said, I really can't afford to buy things because they're wanted or 'nice' - only ever for growing or seasonal purposes. So new winter and summer clothes if they've outgrown last years. So I've just had to restock the 1 year old's wardrobe because all she had was summer stuff.

Just wondering how much others on a tight budget spend on clothes that are 'needed' iyswim.

cat64 Sun 02-Oct-11 21:45:51

Message withdrawn

LingDiLong Sun 02-Oct-11 22:03:08

Well she only had 1 cardi, so I'd have had to buy a few more cardis and tights/leggings to go with the summer stuff. Although yes, that would have probably been cheaper than the warm/winter clothes I bought on Ebay. I shall bear that in mind for next time. I do already make use of hand me downs and ask for clothes for presents at Christmas/Birthdays.

Not really sure what's so confusing about the idea of needing to buy some clothes for growing children somtimes confused.

AgonyBeetle Mon 03-Oct-11 22:51:45

Freecycle/Freegle usually have plenty of people offering outgrown children's clothes, especially in baby/toddler sizes.

LingDiLong Tue 04-Oct-11 12:22:16

Ah, thanks AgonyBeetle, I hadn't thought to look at Freecycle.

poppyandsneeze Tue 04-Oct-11 13:16:00

I always look out for a local NCT sale and stock up on the next size up for my little one. I always come away with outfits for her. There are quite a few NCT nearly new sales in October so look out in your area or look on their website. I do tend to pick up the odd jumper or cardigan for the season for her (tends to be TU when they have a 25% off day look in the charity shops/ebay for one).

We are cutting back this year. So I plan to spend about £10 at the next NCT sale and hopefully will pick up the Autumn/Winter outfits for her in then next fortnight. Apart from that I don't spend anything else.

smackapacca Thu 06-Oct-11 20:39:55

I don't really budget for clothes either - Although I think I should. I'm really lucky in that I have many hand-me downs. Also charity shop/Ebay.

I know what you mean about looking and seeing only summer clothes. A clothes bundle on Ebay is often our solution.

I have bought for 'next year' before, and that has backfired in that trousers are too long/short at the required time. Leggings too bagggy/tights too short...

So in conclusion I don't know!

lljkk Sun 09-Oct-11 19:14:51

I really need an answer to this question with regard to my ten year old.
Who always has had charity shop/jumble sale/hand-me-down clothes, and thankfully is still happy with them. NCT sale clothes probably too posh for us?! So for a 1yo I wouldn't budget hardly anything, tbh. But at some point I need to have an idea of a reasonable budget, too. I have seen quotes of 5-15 quid/month, including shoes, for teenager clothing budgets (sport/school clothes excepted).

deburca Mon 10-Oct-11 20:14:38

Sorry if this is a stupid question, whats NCT?

frenchfancy Fri 14-Oct-11 13:39:03

I probably spend about €300 per year per child on the older DCs, nothing like that on DD3 as she already has 2 lots of handme downs (DD1 and 2 are close in age and by age 5 were the same size).

50€ on winter shoes + boots
30€ on winter coat
100€ on winter clothes
20€ on summer coat
40€ on summer shoes and trainers

Which only leaves 60€ for summer clothes and assumes only 1 pair of trainers per year, so I guess I spend much more than that really.

We don't have school uniform though, so that has to include school clothes.

medicmommy Mon 17-Oct-11 17:09:39

I agree with second hand clothes. If money is tight then go with used clothes. There's nothing wrong with them especially if you know where they are coming from. My friend recently gave me some of her daughter's clothes. I washed and ironed them and they look great. I can afford stuff so I didn't take too much. I didn't think I would like second hand clothes but they are brilliant, especially for little kids growing up really fast.

When you buy, you can buy most things during sales (i.e. at the end of this winter there will be sales, buy bigger sizes to save for next winter).

jenduck Mon 17-Oct-11 18:29:16

I am lucky enough to have most clothes passed on to me by lovely SIL, neighbour & hubby's colleague (actually a TV star so some good quality stuff there!), but I would strongly recommend car boot sales, which I use for any other bits I need.

Yesterday I got for DS2 (6-9 months size, DS1 was in summer clothes for that age) a BHS snowsuit, a Next zippy hoodie, pair H&M joggers, 2 Tesco 'Baby Boutique' sleepsuits, 1 Marks sleepsuit,1 Disney store sleepsuit, 1 fleecey sleepsuit & 1 pair fleecey dungarees all for £6.50, and most barely worn (oh, and a spider costume for DS2 for Halloween)! You have to look for stalls that are just parents having a clearout rather than traders, but there really is such beautiful stuff to be had at a reasonable price, it just means getting up early on a Sunday occasionally.

Also, don't know about all stores, but my local Tesco Home (massive 2-storey shop) is selling off lots of clothes for £1 at the moment (this week I think), and kids' clothes have an extra 25% off too! I got a gorgeous black duffel coat for DS2 the other day for a princely 75p and am kicking myself that I didn't get more to store away as presents! I'll be going back tomorrow when DS1 is safely ensconced in nursery grin

Tinkerisdead Tue 18-Oct-11 07:44:43

I'm on a budget and only ever had 1 batch of handmedowns in 3 years. I prob budget around 20 per month but dont always spend it iyswim. I dont buy clarks shoes. I use cheap brands and dd doesnt wear shoes at home.

I shop for the next age group so as dd is in 2-3 i'm always buying 3-4 at the moment. Its harder with 1's and under as they go through clothes quarterly. I look on every sale rail in all the shops. Because i've been doing it for a year i've got a good seasonal mix. Party dresses ready for birthday and xmas that were 15 quid down to 3. Lots of asda bits for a pound etc. I also look on the clearance pages for tesco, matalan, asda and get a vip slot for the next sale.

I havent used ebay for kids clothes but i will because i just had some great maternity tops and ive sold some lovely bits myself. I also try to buy plain stuff from sale rails but ask for things like funky tights packs as presents so i can jazz up the accessories.

poppyandsneeze Tue 18-Oct-11 11:44:25

Well I picked up a fab Boden dress for my little one at the weeknd for £3.50, it will do her nicely with a pair of tights over the winter period. Also got a lovely Monsoon coat for a £5 which will last a good few years for her. I spent in total £17 but kitted her out for the Winter time and a few years ahead.

NCT - national childbirth trust - do a search online for NCT nearly new sales. You do a search for sales in your area with the postcode and pay a £1 to get in, most people turn up early and queue and it can be a mad rush to get to the second hand toys or clothes. But I always come away with things for my little one. It is also a good place to sell things on, but you won't make the price you get on ebay, but you might only pay 20% to sell and no hassles about posting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now