Talk

Advanced search

Can you sell a car that you still have finance on?

(3 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Sat 01-Oct-11 18:32:50

We have a 7 seater car (4 dcs) but its costing a fortune and I am becoming increasingly stressed about it. Has anyone sold a car that still has finance on it? I would want to part ex it but I am not really sure how it would work.

I am sure lots of people out there know and I feel a bit of a fool asking!

trixymalixy Sat 01-Oct-11 18:39:52

It depends on the type of finance. Have a look at the paperwork it will tell you if you actually own the car or not.

If you don't then depending on how far through the finance deal there should be various exit options, google halves and thirds.

If you own the car but there's finance on it then it can be hard to sell as it'll show up in any checks. Your best option would be to try and part exchange, but you may not get as much as the finance owing on it.

beatenbyayellowskull Sun 09-Oct-11 19:59:13

I did, April.

I'm rubbish at selling cars (having never done it) and didn't want the hassle of going privately, so I went to a dealer (so I lost about £500 probably) but they organised the whole thing. It was no hassle at all.

Good luck! Best thing I ever did smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now