Talk

Advanced search

Break open the avocado-coloured tupperware, the chicken brick and the kilner jars! It's the 1970s all over again.

(12 Posts)
Ormirian Thu 08-Sep-11 13:47:52

Trying to cut back on petrol (back then it was because of shortages!)
Ditto electricity.
Making jam and pickles and picking sloes and blackberries obsessively.
Cooking everything from scratch - no convenience foods.
Fridge stuffed with home-grown veg and fruit.
Mending clothes (I am ashamed to think how infrequently I've done that as an adult)
Taking sandwiches on days out instead of buying lunch.

For me it's like a trip down memory lane. Quite enjoying it as it happens grin I'm just waiting for the flour and sugar shortages and the power cuts.

theginganinja Thu 08-Sep-11 13:51:48

Yes, the current economic situation has that feel. How long will it be, do you reckon, before patterned polyester shirts start appearing on every bloke on the high street. Will they still have that erm... aroma.

Ormirian Thu 08-Sep-11 13:53:43

God no! We have moved on from that surely? Ditto men with perms.

theginganinja Thu 08-Sep-11 13:57:36

grin I think the man perm is due a comeback... and those frilly fronted pink and blue shirts, you know, the type once favoured by snooker players.

HoneyPablo Thu 08-Sep-11 14:01:50

I was in Primark this week and it was like stepping back in time to the 70s. Polyester everywhere, pleated skirts and stuff that your actual granny used to wear.
I couldn't wait to get out the door.

Ormirian Thu 08-Sep-11 14:53:23

Really pablo? Makes me glad I'm in a spending strike atm...

sneakybeak Fri 09-Sep-11 11:47:40

Feeling VERY 70's in our house. I don't flush the toilet all day until DH is due home.

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down!

Ormirian Fri 09-Sep-11 12:13:08

Garggh! No.

I am guessing water meter?

Having said that, that is what my DC do most of the time anyway hmm. Nothing to do with saving water though...

virgiltracey Fri 09-Sep-11 18:42:00

I have just been in the bottom of the garden picking blackberries before the birds get them. In the pouring rain! My mum just called and she said it reminded her of when she did the same when we were little because it was that or no pudding!

sneakybeak Fri 09-Sep-11 19:28:44

Yes - water meter here. I bath each night with the kids. Kinda funny but there won't be room for much longer!

serin Sat 10-Sep-11 19:32:09

I have just got a genuine 70's table off freecycle! It is G plan, solid wood and seats 8! We totally love it and DD (14) thinks it is cool!

Last one was from Argos, cost £400 and fell apart. hmm

Ormirian Mon 12-Sep-11 11:00:57

I am off to find some demijohns and bit to make wine now. Visited a friend who makes wine and jams and pickles from everything! I had preserves-envy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now