Talk

Advanced search

Bars of soap

(13 Posts)
ivykaty44 Thu 30-Jun-11 23:45:51

Anyone returned to using bars of soap rather than shower gel and how much cheaper is it?

SindyTellsMe Thu 30-Jun-11 23:49:46

It is a good deal cheaper and cuts right down on packaging, but you need to teach everyone a bit of soap management or things can get very messy!

meditrina Thu 30-Jun-11 23:54:03

Leave them in the airing cupboard for a bit before use - dries them out and they last longer.

You used to be able to get moulds for reshaping all the ends into new cakes, but I haven't seen one for ages.

Yeni Mon 04-Jul-11 16:27:32

I've always used soap and I only recently realised that most people use shower gel instead. I use the supermarket's own brand unperfumed soap at £1ish for 4 bars. I don't know how that compares to shower gel. We have been using liquid soap for handwashing but the children are a bit too pump-happy and make a terrible mess so I will be switching back to bars of soap for that too.

LittleMissFlustered Wed 13-Jul-11 23:35:30

I use soap. Daughter does too. Son has oilatum on prescription. I buy a two pack of Dove every two months or so. Do have shower gel/bath soak in, as I get a Sanctuary set from a friend most Christmases. Lovely treatsmile

pollyteapot Wed 03-Aug-11 06:40:36

I make my own soap - cheaper than the supermarket stuff (though not if you buy from me at a craft fair grin.

Making your own soap is easy - the gylcerine (called melt and pour) kind - it IS cheaper than buying in from a supermarket and you will notice a difference in your skin. The kind I make is more complex, and is miles better for your skin, but this can be costly to learn how to make.

You can buy kits from Hobby craft but they are expensive, but you can buy from sites on the internet, but a basic 100g bar of melt and pour soap that you can make yourself with essential or fragrance oils works out to be about 60 - 70p. They last ages and are better for you. My hubby also uses them to wash his hair hmm

And, the M&P soap is a great way to spend time with the kids - easy and fun cos you can use different moulds, colours, glitter etc and you can use the soap the very next day.

BleepyBloop Thu 11-Aug-11 09:36:54

I went back to soap bars simply because husband will not use shower gel. My young son is too pump-happy as well. I remember when I was a child there was a mum who waited for all the bits of soap to get really small. Then put them all in a saucepan in a bain marie, melted the leftover bits and poured the melted soap into a teflon coated baking mould. When the soap cools down she would get it out of the mould and cut it with a knife. The resulting soap was all multicoloured too. I am waiting to have enough leftover soap bits to try this!

MadameLupino Thu 11-Aug-11 09:41:34

Soap bars in bath and shower. I found that in the basin that everyone uses in the loo -guests included - that the bar soap would be swimming and grim. So I use a pump refilled with Tesco bubble bath at 19p a litre blush grin. I have sensitive skin and its never affected me - it's not too thick and gloopy.
Plain unscented soap is about 20p a bar in our local pound/hardware store.

IShallWearMidnight Thu 11-Aug-11 09:49:05

I used to be able to buy bars of fruity glycerine soap in the supermarket (like the ones Bodyshop does, but at a fraction of the price) but they all seem to have stopped doing them now. i'm reduced to the Simple soap (am fussy about smells of products). I may need to reinvestigate making my own (did that for presents one Christmas, sadly no-one admired by crafty skills, and wondered why I'd bought everyone baskets of soap sad smile)

twinmummy24 Tue 16-Aug-11 15:30:31

i ask for shower gel for christmas, last year i got so much i am still using it and have another couple of bottles in storage so no spending for me grin

shaz298 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:54:49

We have a dispenser with 4 bits in the shower for shampo, conditioner, showergel for me and showergel for hubby. Because you only get a little at a time ( and it is plenty) it seems to last for ages........

bacon Thu 18-Aug-11 14:03:37

Hubby insists on bars. I buy mine from Aldis and its great - I have used it near my eyes too and to no nasty effects.

Very cheap comes in packs of 3 or 4 under £1.

rushofbloodtothefeet Thu 18-Aug-11 14:06:34

We use soap too, Waitrose own usually, though got some from Poundland last time - £1 for 2 bars of dove sensitive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now