Talk

Advanced search

The price of wait for it watermelon.....

(10 Posts)
Doowrah Tue 28-Jun-11 21:38:38

My son has a penchant for it and last year we paid about £1.20 for a little wedge and now it is over £2 for the same wedge in Morrisons...it seems to have almost doubled, what is the justification for this?

Moodykat Tue 28-Jun-11 21:40:55

My DS also loves it and I bought a whole one at his insistence for three bloody pounds fifty! And he didn't bloody eat it!

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Jun-11 21:42:54

oooh i bought a watermelon today

i have no idea how much it cost though. hmm let me see i i have the receipt

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Jun-11 21:43:59

£2.29 from tesco

fivegomadindorset Tue 28-Jun-11 21:44:50

Well unless they are grown in this country, transport costs would probably factor very highly.

bigTillyMint Tue 28-Jun-11 21:46:16

Get a pineapple instead - only £1 each in Asda /Tescos. Airmiles will be similar, but they are so much yummier grin

Meglet Tue 28-Jun-11 21:46:30

They were stupid money in Sainsburys. Fair enough though as they must cost a fortune to ship / fly them over.

I buy the individual slices in Morrisons when I pop by.

CroissantNeuf Tue 28-Jun-11 21:51:25

DP came home with a pack of pre-sliced water melon slices from Waitrose the other day.

There were only about 6-8 triangular thin slices and the original price was £2.99!! He only bought it as it was reduced to 99p.

Doowrah Wed 29-Jun-11 13:49:05

Thanks everyone...I struggle with the whole transport costs bit, they have always been grown in these places unless the cost of air freight has doubled I can't really see why I am paying double. We do buy pineapple but My DS adores his watermelon so will just have to pay and moan and grumble but good news today I won an organic fruit and veg box in a comp thru my local paper- yeaaahhhhhhh! haven't won anything for decades, wish it was £25,000 mind you...

PoopyFingers Sat 13-Aug-11 22:01:35

£1.89 in Aldis a couple of days ago - a whole watermelon.

Slices are a ripoff, awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now