Talk

Advanced search

Charity shops, what bargains have you got lately?

(21 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 04-May-11 19:59:54

I was in our local Hospice charity shop yesterday and spotted some new shoes that I thought ds1 may like, trainer/sandal type with a suede look. I didn't get them but today decided to go in for them, they were only £5. I couldn't believe it when I went in and a guy and his wife were mulling over them, she was saying try them on and he wasn't so sure. Anyway they put them down so I whipped them over to the till, he then came back to try them on and I could hear them saying "where did they go?"
Anyway ds1 loved them, he likes a bargain grin I had a giggle though when he said, they're perfect mam, and so comfy grin He's only 13, don't think I uttered the words comfy and shoes in the same sentence until I was in my 30s??
Can't believe he's now a size 10 though!

MelodyMeringue Wed 04-May-11 22:17:26

Oh, good for you!

I'm going to a wedding in a month or so and this week have managed to find the following:-
Beautiful Monsoon dress for £10
Matching Accessorize necklace for £3
Matching scarf/wrap for £4

Just need shoes and a bag now. Feeling very chuffed so far...

Curiousmama Thu 05-May-11 08:57:15

Wow you beat me! smile That's fantastic. I bought some Nicholas Deakins shoes from the same charity shop think I may try to sell them on ebay? Not sure of the best place to sell-on shoes tbh? Hope you find your accessories soon and get more bargains?

serin Sat 07-May-11 20:27:37

I have done well recently

Joseph linen trousers which someone had painstakingly turned up by hand to my exact height £4 ! (I gave more)

Brand new black River island jeans for DD £6

Warehouse denim jacket for DD £4

Fat Face combats for me £3

Best ever buy was a huge plastic box filled with thousands of Lego bricks, obviously someones entire collection.....£6 (gave more tho)

nannyl Tue 10-May-11 09:24:41

Quinny dreami carrycot for buzz / speedi. IMMACULATE £2
stair gate £2, as ndew with fastenings etc
umbrella buggy (chicco in last argos catalouge) £2 (for step dads charity that help young single teenagers woth nothing)
Tiny love baby toys. 10p (normally £10 +)
an entire HUGE box of lovely immaculate clean modern baby toys 10p each, so perhaps £3?
black and white baby books. 5p each
wilkinet baby carrier sling £1
M&S white snow suit. brand new, never worn, lovely 50p
washable swim nappy 20p
baby wetsuits with the happy nappy that doesnt leak £1
reins 30p
baby bundler that looks never worn 30p
lots and lots of immaculate next / M&S baby clothes 20p - 30
M&P white travel change mat 30p
un worn paper maternity knickers 20p
beautiful moses basket (the one i would have chosen in currrent catalouge for £50) with 4 sheets (immaculate as new) £2
Fab baby books... pregnancy, gina ford, Annabell karmell, tracy hogg, breastfeeding + loads more, from 20p - 50p
beautiful baby gym £1
gro-bag (immaculate) 50p
some lovely a4 size pictures, by same artist whose pictures i already have on wall in nursery (animals, really lovely for kids room) 50p each so £1.50.. even the frames are nice!
beaba baby cook + lots of the soecial silicon baby food containers that RRP £12 in babies are us, brand new in box £5
baby door bouncer. Boxed as new £2
2 baby bouncy chair things (fo grandparents homes) brand new in box £2
i didnt buy a VCG M&P luna pushchair for £5

Giant pepper mill like in italian restaurants 50p
potatoe ricer same as in lakeland catalouge 20p
salad spinner 50p
pink dotty fondue set as new 50p

loads more that off the top of my head i cant remember

nannyl Tue 10-May-11 09:32:04

in case you hadnt realised im pregnant!

oh i forgot the proper mountain buggy shade a babe thing (I have a mountain buggy) 50p

MelodyMeringue Wed 11-May-11 21:40:01

Congratulations nannyl!

Were they all from the charity shop? You've done very well!

nannyl Wed 11-May-11 22:02:05

yup
its at the bottom of my road about 1min walk away...

its the cheapest charity shop i have ever come across, & must be one of the few places that actually selss stuff for 5p!
I go there every day when i can, sometimes twice...

it is always busy & the turnover of stuff is high.... also all the money goes to LOCAL charities in our village, the play group, brownies, WI etc

MelodyMeringue Fri 13-May-11 19:13:52

Good for you.

I love charity shops. Just wish I had time to go every day too!

flabbyapronbelly Fri 13-May-11 22:06:10

I was working at the election in a village hall last week and they have a village shop where 25% goes to the village and the rest to the seller - got 2 Monsoon skirts for £2 each and a Joules long sleeved T-shirt for £1!!! Couldn't believe it! That plus my Boden top and Monsoon skirt I got at car boot sale last week for £1 each leave me a very happy and well clad lady!

ninedragons Fri 13-May-11 22:27:17

At our local school's jumble sale last week I got a Villeroy & Boch crystal serving bowl still in its box for 7 quid and a brand new pair of school shoes for 50p.

horsemadgal Mon 30-May-11 15:15:39

Our charity shops are rubbish. They sell Primark stuff for more than Primark do!

Meglet Mon 30-May-11 15:19:37

Jurassic Park and March of the Penguins DVD's for £2 each.

GAP long sleeved T-shirt for DS, £2.

I think the secret to charity shops is to pop in all the time so you can spot the bargains.

WellIShouldNever Mon 30-May-11 15:22:55

A £115 bathroom light from John Lewis, still in the box for £10!!! Finished my bathroom of lovely.

Curiousmama Mon 30-May-11 15:24:28

Saw this thread in active and couldn't believe it was the one I started grin

Glad to hear you're all getting bargains. I can sympathise with you horsemadgal, the ones in town sell primark for more money that primark too! Very odd?

BooBooGlass Mon 30-May-11 15:24:52

This weekend I got dd a Sylvanian Families pony and stable for £2. Ds spotted some spotless brio while we were in there too (I shan't tell you how much over the odds I paid for that blush)

MountainDew Mon 30-May-11 15:27:16

I got a bike carrier thing for the back of the car. It carries 3 bikes. Brand new, in a box. I checked the brand at home, it sells for £60.

I got it for £2.

(I actually put an extra £3 in the little charity box on the desk because it seemed far too cheap. Hehe. )

I thought they wanted £20 for it, which I would have been more than happy to pay! But £2! Best bargain of my life. grin

kylesmybaby Mon 30-May-11 15:29:20

i live in chiswick and ours are really overpriced to. puts me off going in really. i understand for designer stuff yes they can overprice but average stuff is well overpriced as well.

pramsgalore4 Thu 16-Jun-11 12:25:15

ours are very exspensive so dont bother.I do go round car boots and have picked up some bargains, got 6 pairs of trousers (jeans and cords) looked new for my ds for £3 the lot, bought lots of baby things over the years as well, i have to say i did once take somethings into our local charity shop and nothing went onto the shop floor apart from some books, think the staff took it home there was some lovely things as well, so now i do a carboot and make myself some exra cash.

juicychops Thu 30-Jun-11 19:46:00

got my ds (6) some new books over the last few weeks. got him some horrid henry books for 20p each, and some other chapter books all great condition. our local charity shop the books are really cheap and buy one get one free

Littlepurpleprincess Tue 19-Jul-11 09:18:39

I got a paddling pool, that's the perfect size for my garden for £3 in Rowcroft. Then went to primark and got 2 swimsuits for £2 and 2 t-shirts for £2 to keep the sun off them. That's half the summer holidays sorted, for £7!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now