Talk

Advanced search

During May I will only spend money on food and petrol.

(267 Posts)
Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 20:54:33

I have decided that I spend far too much on silly bits and pieces and that after a while this really adds up.

The children do not need ANY clothes or shoes at all.

Neither do I. Or bags.

DH needs nothing.

So I have declared that May will be an eco month and i will only buy food and petrol. We are in school for the whole of the month so no trips out are necessary and if the weather is nice we can take our bikes out.

Anyone care to join me or make comments to support me!

BlackandGold Sat 30-Apr-11 20:57:38

Just discussed with DH that these are our two main areas of expenditure.

Then the discussion seemed to peter out so no real decision or plans made. hmm

Adair Sat 30-Apr-11 21:02:16

Yeah! I am with ya.Is dh's birthday but have his pressie already.

Have done No Spend months before, usually make a list of anything that I get the urge to buy and then can make a sensible decision next month (eg borrow/re-use something else/freecycle/shop around/take off list).

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:03:05

It is so easy to pop out for coffee or a magazine for the children or a choc bar at the petrol station and I do not neeeeeeed any of this stuff!

I really want there to be little on the credit card bill this month even tho DH never checks on what I spend or criticises.

southeastastra Sat 30-Apr-11 21:03:44

but all the silly bits and pieces companies will shut down sad

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:04:37

No they wont SEA! Because there is really only me doing this so you can keep the company going!!

Adair Sat 30-Apr-11 21:06:16

YES. i was at hsp today and so easily could have bought a mag and some choc. And crisps. And coke...

Worth putting multipack of Mars bars IMO on shopping order (or sains equivalent) if it stops you spending 3 times as much when out.

I have cut down on mags and enjoying that much more. The library for mags and books...

Carrotsandcelery Sat 30-Apr-11 21:06:26

Can I join in?

I have 2 things I will allow myself to buy though:

a) shoes for my friends wedding and
b) night out for my birthday.

If those exceptions, declared in advance, are acceptable then my bank balance could seriously benefit from this idea.

bustersmummy Sat 30-Apr-11 21:08:21

Can I join?

I do not need clothes.

The DD's do not need clothes.

Or shoes.

Or bags.

And I want to buy a motorbike grin

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:08:22

It's funny because the choc in the supermarket is on offer for 5 bars for £1 and the choc at the check out is about 65p each so that stopped me buying it the other day!!

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:09:44

Yes please join in! The more the merrier and it will help me stay on track.

The other thing I am going to do is meal plan properly and not do silly bitty shopping when I spend £30 but have no food for a meal!

compo Sat 30-Apr-11 21:11:39

Don't you go out with the girls?!

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:13:35

Nope! Do not go out with girls really.

Wallace Sat 30-Apr-11 21:17:42

But chocolate is food! hmm

Adair Sat 30-Apr-11 21:20:25

Exactly, so you can buy it but only if it is a mindful purchase or part of weekly shop <makes up rules as goes along>

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:20:25

Wallace - you can have chocolate! It is more of the random bits and pieces you buy when you are out and about!

Just get the choc with your shopping!!

compo Sat 30-Apr-11 21:20:28

Oh I have to have pub money and coffee shop money, not that I go out often but at least once a month
and then theirs haircuts, dentist, opticioan all in may half term
otherwise I'd have joined you

Adair Sat 30-Apr-11 21:22:34

We have takeaways in our budget... For me, it is about no buying for sake of it.

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:22:55

You can have pub money and coffee shop money and you can go out.

May half term is actually in June so that will be fine too.

It is more the random stuff you buy without thinking about that I will be trying to avoid!

rules-getting-complicated

Wallace Sat 30-Apr-11 21:24:48

In that case i only buy food and petrol anyway. Dh usually brings me home te chocolate grin

Collision Sat 30-Apr-11 21:27:05

Wallace do you not buy tshirts and pants and magazines and half price stuff all the time? With the food shop?

I need to leave the credit card at home!

pixiestix Sat 30-Apr-11 21:27:55

This is a really good idea. It says something about the awful state of my finances that I read your post and thought "Oh I could never do that". I'm going to seriously consider whether it is do-able for us.

Carrotsandcelery Sat 30-Apr-11 21:36:46

So we can make preplanned, necessary purchases but not wander past something in a shop and think, "Oooh! I think I will have that!" and buy it, yes?

Wallace Sat 30-Apr-11 21:42:01

I do the food shop online and we live 30 miles from any proper shops which helps!

Not having any money helps too grin

Adair Sat 30-Apr-11 21:46:21

Yer, but even the pre-planned ones you need to reeeeeaally think abut and consider, do I actually need this or can i borrow/re-use etc? Usually i find myself rediscovering things from round the house - eg I need a toothbrush holder, hey, let's use that funky blue mug that mumsnet decrees is -unacceptable. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now