Talk

Advanced search

ok. How do you write a book about someone you are trying to forget about without going completely insane?

(17 Posts)
Kerrymumbles Sun 04-Oct-09 14:26:00

Cause it's really fucking me up and I need to get this done.

cornsilk Sun 04-Oct-09 14:26:31

Change their name, appearance etc.

Kerrymumbles Sun 04-Oct-09 14:30:20

it's not that so much cs as, hmm the entire personality of the character is based on this person.... and a lot of it is already written.

gawd it's desperate.

cornsilk Sun 04-Oct-09 14:31:39

Oh blimey. Don't know then really. Sounds a bit grim.

Kerrymumbles Sun 04-Oct-09 14:32:40

yeah....

cornsilk Sun 04-Oct-09 14:33:51

Set yourself a target maybe. So much everyday till it's done and work through it that way.

Kerrymumbles Sun 04-Oct-09 14:37:13

yes. but the problem is i don't want to think abuot them at all, lest of all delve into their psyche which I know so well. urgh. this is oging to kill me.

cornsilk Sun 04-Oct-09 14:40:26

How about dictating it into a Dictaphone instead and getting someone else to type it?

SoupDragon Sun 04-Oct-09 14:43:39

Do you need to get it done now or is it something that time will fix and let you do it without so much pain?

Kerrymumbles Sun 04-Oct-09 14:47:44

it is a conundrum because i need to get it done, i want to get it done (it is very important to me and I have people waiting for it) and while it is contradictory it is also enabling me to focus my energy into something productive.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 04-Oct-09 14:50:05

Think of it as being cheaper than therapy wink and getting him out of your system. Plus you can do things to your character that may cause him pain grin

Kerrymumbles Sun 04-Oct-09 14:52:19

ah but I don't hate him.

nonetheless he does suffer.

a lot grin

i suppose I could see it as getting him out of my system. but it's fucking hard....

SoupDragon Sun 04-Oct-09 16:02:42

I was going to suggest you try to view it as cathartic. Get it all out of you and onto paper.

then stab it, burn it and jump up and down on the ashes

Kerrymumbles Mon 05-Oct-09 10:23:13

yes. that is a good idea. I wasn't going to kill him off but now....

[weak smile]

it's a bit easier every day. Plus have another project someone has asked me to work on so that is a distraction as well...

Litchick Mon 05-Oct-09 11:38:33

Kerry - my experience is that you cannot do anything about this.
You have to live with your characters for the duration of writing the thing. You have to know them inside out and spend more time with them than anyone in RL.
But, and here's the good news, when it's done you will barely be able to rmemeber them.

Kerrymumbles Mon 05-Oct-09 15:17:27

seroiusly?

but the process may kill me

especially as it's a loooong book and most likely will be more than one....

Litchick Fri 09-Oct-09 09:58:59

Well I can only speak for my own experience Kerry.
How far in are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now