Talk

Advanced search

how do you get started

(14 Posts)
frazzled74 Wed 02-Sep-09 16:29:27

I aleays have loads of ideas for stories swimming round in my head and would love to write. how did you get started, tips please.

frazzled74 Wed 02-Sep-09 16:29:56

always not aleays

frazzled74 Fri 04-Sep-09 09:14:54

please has anyone any tips?

rupertsabear Mon 07-Sep-09 09:41:29

Not many ideas, but joining in as I'm also interested. The OU has a fiction writing course that's not v.expensive.

I think keeping a journal is very important. Keep it in your handbag and write down thoughts you have or things you find interesting. Also read a lot and think about what you enjoy and why you're enjoying it.

Litchick Mon 07-Sep-09 13:01:53

I'm sure that each writer has their own methods but I'll tell you mean for what they're worth.
I always make very detailed notes about my main characters and draft a longish plan ie what is going to happen in each scene.
If I have any brain waves about dialogue or nuggets of interesting description I'll note them down too so I don't forget.

Then I just get on with it. I type fast and for long periods. I don't give a toss about mistakes, or the quality of the writing. I just get it down. Often I leave myself notes within the body of the work..

[Litchick, this makes no sense]
[This is sooooooo dull]
[Who is going to believe that happened?]

When I get to the end I begin the long process of editing. Word by word, line by line.

I hope this helps.

fortyplus Mon 07-Sep-09 13:03:01

Kerrymum is writing a novel. She posted a great short story on here a while back - just making it up as she went along

phdlife Mon 07-Sep-09 13:09:39

litchick that is EXACTLY how I do it, creepy!

except for that whole, 'get to the end' bit <sigh>.

rupertsabear Mon 07-Sep-09 13:25:47

what sort of books do you write, litchick?

Litchick Mon 07-Sep-09 14:49:19

I write thrillers.
I am actually waiting for DC to go to school on Wednesday so I can start my next one.
I am really excited grin

frazzled74 Wed 09-Sep-09 10:47:12

great, have just been and bought a handbag sized notepad so i can jot down ideas when i have them. I will take it from there.I dont really want to do a course as I really just want a creative hobby just or me. If I ever actually get round to writing anything, I may post it on here. Litchick ,do you have anything published? I love thrillers.

Litchick Wed 09-Sep-09 12:02:06

I have four published and another one out after xmas.
Should be working now - bad girl.

frazzled74 Wed 09-Sep-09 12:08:15

could I have link to one of your books, or a title? would love to read one.

Litchick Fri 11-Sep-09 10:28:52

Sorry would really rather not say on here.
I hope you don't mind.

frazzled74 Fri 11-Sep-09 14:37:24

no not at all. I did think that as soon as i posted, good luck with your next book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now