Talk

Advanced search

How does one protect one's work?

(12 Posts)
KerryMumbles Tue 30-Jun-09 16:51:02

copyright wise?

Can you protect the outline and storyline if the work is in progress?

What do you need to do?

thanks!

MadameDefarge Wed 01-Jul-09 02:47:24

You could try, but there is really isn't much point. Nobody who was saw it in a professional capacity would care less about an outline and storyline (ie. publishers and agents) and I suppose the only others who might see it might be a writing group, who could hardly get away with nicking your story line!

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Jul-09 11:19:33

well no actually I am sending it to someone(s) in the entertainment business who are very well connected. And I've got a fair bit of the writing done. But want to protect overall storyline

ReallyReally Wed 01-Jul-09 11:21:52

about 15 years ago someone told me that the easiest way to get copyright of something to write it down, stick it in an envelope and post it to yourself

it's dated then

don't open it though fgs

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Jul-09 11:23:12

i heard that rr - registered post. Is it good enough?

ReallyReally Wed 01-Jul-09 11:30:06

to be honest I have no idea, sorry

what area of the country are you in?

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Jul-09 11:35:16

I'm in Ireland actually but the people who will be looking at it are in the U.S. so I'd be mostly concerned with protecting myself there. I know this is a long shot. Have a writer's handbook but not a U.S. one.

ReallyReally Wed 01-Jul-09 11:53:32

do you have a local literature festival or literature development organisation you can ask?

legalalien Wed 01-Jul-09 12:00:13

The copyright position in the UK is summarised quite nicely by the IPO at IPO site.. In the UK copyright vests on creation - it protects the form of the ideas rather than the ideas themselves. To the extent the overall storyline consists of "ideas" you'd probably be better off relying on a confidentiality undertaking, I'd think. Is there any sort of confidentiality agreement in place?

In Ireland - no idea, but the Irish Copyright Association looks to have various FAQs on its page irish CA

I think from memory that the US position is different, and that copyright requires registration before a suit claiming infringement can be brought. will see whether I can find a link.

[disclaimer- not an intellectual property expert by any means!]

legalalien Wed 01-Jul-09 12:04:51

Summary of US position here. Registration not required (but some advantages as set out).

us copyright position

legalalien Wed 01-Jul-09 12:07:46

And in case you're wondering after reading that, Ireland does have a treaty relationship with the US:

[http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf countries with relationships]]

right, had better go back to real work.

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Jul-09 12:08:43

ah THANK YOU THANK YOU LA!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now