Talk

Advanced search

People like my writing style but, not my grammar.

(11 Posts)
darkriver19886 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:08:58

General feedback on my writing says that I have decent writing style but, grammar tends to be whats holding me back.

I have googled and get swamped with the rules etc. I cant currently afford a course. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve?

RonniePasas Tue 03-Dec-19 18:10:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Tue 03-Dec-19 18:14:19

Just reading your OP, you are incorrectly using a comma and haven’t used an apostrophe in can’t or what’s.

They would be the first things to focus on.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Tue 03-Dec-19 18:19:50

I am a bit of a grammar nerd. If it would help, I can have a look at some writing and correct the grammar and give you the main things to focus on rather than trying to learn everything at once.

darkriver19886 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:26:13

Thank you, for the grammar suggestions. I uninstalled Grammarly as worried I was it was inaccurate. I have reinstalled it.

darkriver19886 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:27:03

*As I was worried it was inaccurate.

FFS!

morningmarigold Wed 04-Dec-19 20:36:06

I have exactly the same issue darkriver. I think it was fate or something because I found a fellow writer who is prepared to look through my writing and add corrections (and has already started doing so) at just the right time, so you are not alone in this. Believe me, I have been pulled up a number of inaccuracies and I am just accepting that this is my weaker area and I'm trying to learn from it (bit by bit). I think if you try to absorb everything at once, it can seem overwhelming. Hopefully someone skilled in the grammar side of things will come along and help you.

Dinosforall Wed 04-Dec-19 21:00:09

Reading widely will help, if you're not doing that already. If you don't have time for novels, the broadsheets' websites will help.

Hepsibar Wed 04-Dec-19 21:06:05

Can you buy some primary school grammar books for SATs to get the basics in easy to understand format ... or you could watch YouTube videos.

Zilla1 Wed 04-Dec-19 21:25:41

What software application do you use to write, OP? If MS Word, I find it's grammar checker is mostly be reliable though Grammarly is good as well. Have you run your text or a sample through those so you can learn what you write that's incorrect? You may then deliberately disregard so of the checker's recommendations when you choose, such as when you want your characters to speak naturally (but grammatically incorrectly). Good luck and try not to lose your natural style if others think it's attractive. It wouldn't be helpful to write dull, grammatically correct prose.

darkriver19886 Wed 04-Dec-19 21:41:54

I have installed the Grammarly app on my phone and browser. I also ran it through Hemingway but I think it's better for smaller samples.

My friend has bought me a collection of books which has a dictionary and a book on grammar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »