Talk

Advanced search

Screenwriting. Anyone started later in life and can share tips?

(5 Posts)
FreezeEverything Wed 13-Nov-19 11:39:53

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone's in the same boat. I've been writing for quite a few years now and have had some (prose) work published. Lately I've been dying to get into screenwriting as I've an unsubstantiated hunch that it could suit me.

Is anybody else in the same boat? Have you done any courses to try to get up to speed? Do you use Scrivener? I know there must be people out there!

Zilla1 Wed 13-Nov-19 13:51:48

Answering minor points in your post -

Final Draft is sold as the 'industry standard' software, not that you couldn't make USA or UK-specific formatting in MS Word or other word processor.

I think there's a free UEA course through Futurelearn - www.futurelearn.com/courses/screenwriting

Good luck.

schmalex Thu 14-Nov-19 16:35:03

I've done classes through UCLA online. They're pricey but very good.
BBC writers room is very useful for information and they have submissions windows for drama and comedy.
I'm still working on it. grin

schmalex Thu 14-Nov-19 16:35:41

Oh and I also use final draft (but use Scrivener for fiction).

FreezeEverything Fri 15-Nov-19 20:23:06

Thank you so much for your responses. Final Draft - that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

And @Zilla1 thanks for the link to the free UEA course. Definitely going to start there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »