Talk

Advanced search

Illustrations

(4 Posts)
Oceangirl82 Sat 12-Oct-19 20:54:27

Difficult one here, I am writing a series of Children’s books (approx 3-6 years) I have an illustrator lined up but am unsure what to pay her, meeting to discuss this next week, does anyone have any advice. I am self-publishing.
Thanks

Zilla1 Sun 27-Oct-19 12:31:18

I think there are different options depending on what you want and can afford and what they want. You could pay them the full commercial rate and take ownership of copyright explicitly while they retain the rights of attribution so you can publish freely. You might find this expensive but will give you the control you might need. You might want to agree how future illustrations would be commissioned.

You could in effect each bring your professional content and they bring theirs and you both jointly benefit from the publications and jointly control the illustrated books. You might not like the loss of control and possibly (equally?) sharing the revenue. Consider what will happen when you don't agree on the characters and illustrations?

Is the following of use?

www.wordybirdstudio.com/blog/2015/11/5/10-things-to-know-when-working-with-an-illustrator

I recall there was a controversy where a UK children's writer wanted to go too far and in effect to take the rights to have the illustrator's designs and creations drawn by another illustrator in future books which I understand annoyed the illustrating community.

In short, unless you have a strong preference for control and the ability to pay then meet and discuss with them and see what their preferences are and, more importantly, see if they have a good feel or the material, can take feedback and whether you both could work together well.

Good luck.

Oceangirl82 Sat 02-Nov-19 13:35:33

Thanks Zilla, really useful, the website proved interesting too.

Zilla1 Thu 14-Nov-19 09:36:47

How did you get on? What did you decide and what were the illustrator's preferences?

Hope you get to launch successfully.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »