Talk

Advanced search

Using a character from a novel

(6 Posts)
littlebillie Sat 12-Oct-19 20:06:14

Just wondered what the legal premise is using a character from a story ie a Dickens character where he characters are expanded on I'm not planning to rewrite the story though

everythingcrossed Sat 12-Oct-19 20:13:02

It shouldn't be a problem legally - Dickens is out of copyright. There are plenty of precedents - Wide Sargasso Sea is a retelling of the first Mrs Rochester's story, there have been sequels to Pride and Prejudice, reworkings of Emma, follow-ups to Gone with the Wind etc. It could be a nightmare in terms of the readers who love and are extremely knowledgeable about Dickens...

littlebillie Sat 12-Oct-19 22:58:11

I just revisited a book recently and thought there's a big story to be told here

User478 Sat 12-Oct-19 23:00:07

Isn't this what all Fan Fiction is?

Zilla1 Sun 27-Oct-19 12:17:51

As a PP said, if the original book is out of copyright (can be complicated depending on the jurisdiction [some jurisidictions seem to be intent on losing the point of IP law), any joint authorship and whether in the UK is contains Peter Pan) then I understand the character(s) can be used or indeed a full sequel or prequel using the character(s) and setting can be written.

Good luck.

Shalom23 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:22:52

Nelly Dean in WH has a novel ( modern) written from her POV it just covers a different time span to the original.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »