Talk

Advanced search

Is it weird not to meet your publisher?

(8 Posts)
NorthEndGal Tue 08-Oct-19 15:13:30

I have written a short , non fiction, photo heavy book about sea glassing.
I found a local publisher online, and he is happy to publish the book.
My issue is that when I suggested a meet up, to finalize questions, ideas and timelines, he replied that he prefers email.

I dont mind 99% of things being by email, but this is my first book. I am just wanting to make sure this is how things work, before I am in any deeper.
He and I have not signed contracts yet.

Any feedback or advice on what I should or shouldn't expect from a publisher would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sicario Tue 08-Oct-19 15:23:50

Seems odd not to meet anyone from the publishing company. Unless it's a self-publishing arrangement?

HollowTalk Tue 08-Oct-19 15:26:51

Are you paying to have this book published? Have you seen physical copies of other books the publisher has produced?

AngusThermopyle Tue 08-Oct-19 15:29:03

I know a few authors, and a couple of friends in publishing and that sounds a bit odd to me unless they have particular health reasons, which I'd assume they'd mention in passing. Personally though I'd avoid as it's feels off to me.

NorthEndGal Tue 08-Oct-19 15:31:56

It is a self publishing set up, but you dont pay any upfront costs.
The ones that sell through Amazon, go through their system, and if I want physical copies, for promotion and selling at festivals, I buy them through him at wholesale rate, and he takes 50%.

NorthEndGal Tue 08-Oct-19 15:33:59

He also provides help in promoting, email lists, introductions with other authors, and the formatting and such.
It is a one person company, from my understanding, but has published a number of books, in many areas.

NorthEndGal Tue 08-Oct-19 22:18:10

Bump for the evening crowd?

HollowTalk Wed 09-Oct-19 10:48:19

I haven't met my UK publisher yet, though I'm sure I will one day. What's important in your situation is that you get to see a copy of your book before the print run, so that you can suggest changes if necessary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »