Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone written a book, with know end in sight.

(5 Posts)
Shosha1 Sun 22-Sep-19 20:33:04

I know the charachters, and have written the first 3 chapters. But I have no idea how it will end. When I start writing, the next line just seems to come. Should I have a real idea tho ?

Witchend Mon 23-Sep-19 19:00:23

I think your autocorrect needs a bit of non-auto correcting. (so does mine, especially on my phone!)

Yes, kind of. I did it for NaNoWriMo. I planned each chapter during the day and wrote it that night.
It wasn't each line coming though, by the time I wrote it, I knew what that chapter was about.

Zilla1 Tue 24-Sep-19 07:15:57

I don't think it's essential if it works for you. I think I heard an interview with GRR Martin who said he 'admires' writers who plan things out but he writes as he can't work the other way. That said, I understand he knew which core characters would survive and hence the ending for ASOFAI/Game of Thrones.

I've written backwards from an ending and forwards from a first line. Forwards often leads to more natural text for me.

Good luck.

IndefatigableMouse Wed 25-Sep-19 18:14:18

Everyone writes differently. I get a bit lost without a plan and definitely like to have an end to work towards but plenty don't.

DelanoDelagto Wed 25-Sep-19 18:21:23

Lots of people write without plotting first, it has a term, 'pantsing' (writing by the seat of your pants). The amount of plotting you do is a totally individual choice.

If you want to try plotting there's loads of resources - I liked the book Take off Your Pants by Libbie Hawker (only £1 in ebook format!).

Personally, I like thinking broadly about the plot but I never write it down - the story develops more naturally for me that way smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »