Talk

Advanced search

Do the chapter lengths have to match?

(5 Posts)
darkriver19886 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:32:37

I read that the rule of thumb for a comptempary novel is 2K words. However, I am struggling to make them that long. The most I have managed is 1150 words for the second chapter. Is it possible that I need to flesh the story out a bit more? I am about to move on to my third chapter.

darkriver19886 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:39:15

I missed out the word chapters.

zonoverlords Tue 13-Aug-19 10:20:00

Depends on genre. Thrillers, for example, can get away with having quite short chapters.

Are you getting everything in there? Have you included sensory details and imagery?

Chapters are stories in their own right. They need to reveal something new (however small) and have some plot/character development. They should usually have their own set-up/reveal/decision/outcome structure, same as the book as a whole, but ending on a cliffhanger to pull the reader through to the next chapter.

IndefatigableMouse Thu 15-Aug-19 19:03:43

Are you thinking about scenes instead of chapters? Chapters can have just one scene or a few. I'm writing a story with two alternating main characters so I tend to write longer chapters with a few scenes in that move the story along one chunk, but it's fine to do it differently.

darkriver19886 Thu 15-Aug-19 19:06:56

Hi, No I definitely mean chapters. I think I am rushing to the end so I need to flesh out it more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »