Talk

Advanced search

Writing competitions

(19 Posts)
Hiphopopotamus Sun 30-Jun-19 22:02:22

Apologies of this discussion has already been had, but I entered my first writing competition this weekend. Have any of you entered competitions and had successes, and if so, have they led to anything bigger?

Roomette Mon 01-Jul-19 22:43:15

I was shortlisted for the Bridport first novel award and for the Bath novel prize. The shortlisting got me a discounted editorial read but neither got me an agent at the time. But it gave me a confidence boost, and gave me something to put in query letters to make them stand out a bit.

Hiphopopotamus Tue 02-Jul-19 18:42:03

Ah well done! I’m definitely not expecting anything to come from the one I’ve entered. The first round was a 500 word piece on a given title, then the shortlisted people get asked to submit the first 3000 - 5000 words plus a blurb and synopsis of a full novel or non fiction book. I entered with my novel in mind, but struggled with the 500 word piece and I wasn’t particularly happy with it - I’m definitely more comfortable writing longer pieces!

TalentedMsRipley Sun 18-Aug-19 08:47:26

I remember reading this a couple of months ago and feeling down that I'd not been shortlisted for any of the five competitions I'd entered. But that's history now as Ive just heard I've been shortlisted for an international short story competition. 🤗

happystory Sun 18-Aug-19 09:02:39

That's great news! Congratulations

TalentedMsRipley Sun 18-Aug-19 10:24:17

Aw, thanks. It's given my on-the-floor confidence a bit of a hike!

IndefatigableMouse Mon 19-Aug-19 14:42:06

Well done! I've done a couple, and not got anywhere but I suppose it's a bit like submitting to magazines - I've done that a bazillion times and got mostly rejections but the odd small acceptance. You just need one person to say yes and it's well worth doing it.

The thing that puts me off competitions is the cost (the Mslexia one is £25 which seems like an awful lot), but I'm sure being shortlisted/winning is a great thing to put in a query letter to an agent.

TalentedMsRipley Mon 19-Aug-19 15:37:12

Thanks. I didn't even think of putting into a query letter to an agent! Ive just turned 40 and only just started writing 3 months ago. 🤭

IndefatigableMouse Mon 19-Aug-19 17:19:55

that's amazing progress, I'm nearly 40 and have been writing forever with not much to show for it :D. The nice thing about writing is that you can break through at any age.

TalentedMsRipley Tue 20-Aug-19 07:48:50

Thanks. I had a children's book considered then refused when I was 20 and it put me off writing again!

KirstyHasLeft Fri 11-Oct-19 18:00:33

I have just entered NYC Midnight microfiction competition - 250 words story. The first story I wrote in decades. Fingers crossed I get to the next stage. Probably not, though.. :D

TalentedMsRipley Fri 11-Oct-19 18:42:14

Kirst - yay..good luck! I found out yesterday that I got longlisted, then shortlisted, for another Uk novel writing competition. So chuffed! 🥰

TalentedMsRipley Fri 11-Oct-19 18:42:40

kirsty !

KirstyHasLeft Fri 11-Oct-19 18:59:04

TalentedMsRipley, how very cool! smile

I am 37 - been writing lots when I was a child/teenager, winning competitions and being published, but gave all up when got older and life got in the way. I finally feel I have something more to say - so trying to do some grown-up writing smile

everythingcrossed Fri 11-Oct-19 20:31:18

Ooh, MsRipley, if it's the competition that I think it is, that's amazing. Well done 🍾 smile

TalentedMsRipley Fri 11-Oct-19 21:51:00

Nooo, it's not THAT competition!! (For which there is a whole other thread) 😬

everythingcrossed Sat 12-Oct-19 09:02:44

Well, 🍾 anyway. It's still brilliant news.

GeePipe Tue 15-Oct-19 12:22:11

Finding an agent

GeePipe Tue 15-Oct-19 12:22:48

Woops sorry wrong thread! Congrats though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »