Talk

Advanced search

Please please please help

(6 Posts)
Louiselouie0890 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:23:25

I need to write a really nice poem and I need help. So I've bought a star for my godson I want to write a nice poem about my promises to him and the star will help light the way sort of thing please help.

elephantscanring Wed 13-Jun-18 09:21:19

So what help are you asking for? Poem recommendations? Someone to write the poem for you? Tips on how to write poetry?

vinegarqueen Wed 13-Jun-18 09:34:55

Are the promises to him you mean the ones from the baptism service? You could do a little A/B/A/B rhyme like:

I promise to you forever
to help you on your way
like this little star I will guide you
if ever your steps should stray

etc etc?

vinegarqueen Wed 13-Jun-18 09:36:00

with spaces as appropriate - this app does not work for me...

NetballHoop Wed 13-Jun-18 09:43:00

Planets don't twinkle
And moons are quite dead
Comets are dusty, no sprinkle
So I bought you a star instead!

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 13-Jun-18 10:00:17

You could start by jotting down all the words (nouns, adjectives, verbs & adverbs ) that you want to include, plus some "star" words. So for example you might want to include protect, enjoy, teach, tiny, guide, twinkle. Then try to weave them together, eg
I gazed upon your sleeping face
I stroked your tiny cheek
I inhaled your newborn fragrance
As you fell asleep

What does the future hold for you?
I cannot wait to see
You and I together
A wonderful journey

I'll help you learn times tables
I'll try to make it fun
I'll teach you all the garden birds
You'll teach me how to run

Etc. I know that's a bit naff, I just did it quickly! The important thing is that it comes from your heart. Poems don't have to rhyme but I think for children it's quite nice if they do. Also, the poem should have rhythm - read up on poetry meters. I think it's a lovely, original idea for a present.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: