Talk

Advanced search

Mills and Boon and similar

(4 Posts)
Thurlow Tue 13-Feb-18 15:40:12

Has anyone ever submitted to them or been published? Or can recommend any publishers, in print and online? After years of toying with the idea I'm tempted to throw caution to the wind and give it a go...

HairyBallTheorem Tue 13-Feb-18 19:53:26

I remember a couple of students I knew trying this out when we were in grad school, and having talked to them about it, the question I'd ask you is "why Mills and Boon"? From what I gather the form is very proscriptive (they send you a template with more or less what must happen by what point in the book), and they don't pay very well.

If you love Mills and Boon's formula and think you'd get satisfaction out of writing to their house style, go for it... but if you're thinking of it as a good money earner, don't bother is the message I got from them (oh, and it's far harder than it looks - okay so it's not Booker material, but it still requires a degree of technical skill).

Diamonddealeroncemore Fri 16-Feb-18 20:36:59

They don’t send you a formula! The readers want a certain style when they pick up a M&B but they are not an ‘easy’ book to write. I submitted to them last September and they recently responded asking me to revise what I had done and re-submit which is a big step forward in getting published which is my aim!

Diamonddealeroncemore Fri 16-Feb-18 20:39:33

Oh, and having been to workshops run by their editors at conferences I would recommend reading a lot of their books in whatever series you fancy writing for. I’m forever at the library getting books out or trawling charity shop bookshelves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now