Talk

Advanced search

Kindle Scout

(6 Posts)
Basseting Wed 07-Feb-18 20:39:41

Has anyone taken part in NaNo and then submitted to Kindle Scout pls?

I was hoping to but my book is not nearly ready enough (didnt realise you'd need a book jacket design etc) and am now panicking about missing the deadline.

Is there just one a year?

MrsFionaCharming Sat 10-Feb-18 13:02:12

I thought I’d missed the deadline until I got the reminder email on Wednesday. I’m considering submitting, but I’m also wondering if that’s throwing away the change of traditional publishing.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 10-Feb-18 13:07:21

You are throwing away your chance of traditional publishing. They won't look at a self-published book unless it's one of the very rare ones that has gone to the top of the Amazon charts.

Basseting Sat 10-Feb-18 14:29:11

MrsFiona is there only 1 deadline per year do you know?

MyBrilliant
can I just check - the KS option is the chance of them paying for you to self publish (ie if you get enough votes)

so if you were pretty sure your work wouldnt appeal to a trad publisher as it was, say a memoir and you were not famous, it might be a chance to avoid the costs of self publishing?
(how to find out?

but if you thought you had a shot at a 'real offer' it is best avoided?

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 10-Feb-18 23:19:44

There are no costs to self-publishing though, on Kindle. I self-published two books and it didn't cost me a penny. I made my own covers - Amazon Kindle has templates and I used them, with my own pictures.

I hadn't heard of Kindle Scout, tbh. The only thing I can say is don't show your work to anyone, whether it's in a competition, to an agent or whoever, unless you think it's perfect as it is. (Of course you might be told it's not, but you can deal with that then!)

MrsFionaCharming Thu 15-Feb-18 10:28:19

I think there might be multiple times to submit, I think I read something on a blog that suggested that.

As it turns out, I’m nowhere near submission ready, so I can leave me self vs traditional publishing issues for later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now