Talk

Advanced search

Pitching

(10 Posts)
NinahH Fri 10-Nov-17 09:53:10

Anyone done this? I had a go recently, quite enjoyed the experience. Haven't heard back from agents though. Had a good rapport with one in particular, said it was a good pitch but all down the writing in the end - I entirely agree. Wonder how useful it is. Was a definite confidence boost to feel I could talk about the book but not particularly useful in terms of getting an agent.

CautionTape Fri 10-Nov-17 11:17:12

I don't think pitching is particularly useful to novelists.

In the end, agents take on clients who sub in the traditional way. They take on a client based on a book they've written, their CV, their future projects and if they think they can find a sale for their client's work.

Writing for film/television/theatre is quite different. You have to be able to pitch effectively.

notthegumdropbuttons Sun 12-Nov-17 14:36:58

nina I will be pitching in two weeks and I’m scared already. Was it quite relaxed? Have you any tips ? confused I fear I’m just going to end up waffling

NinahH Sun 12-Nov-17 20:53:20

I am not sure at all I did it right, gumdrops! I was well prepared but in the end I approached it in a low key way - the agents were lovely so it wasn't nearly as daunting as I'd expected. On the other hand I do agree with what cautiontape says above - I wouldn't go in expecting to seal a deal or anything, more as practice talking about your book and hopefully getting some feedback on how it comes across at first impression. Do have your contact details to pass on to them. Relax and enjoy! do you know who you are seeing ahead of time? one of the other pitchers said she was put with an agent who didn't represent what she'd written and after that was established they just sat there in silence. I think that would be awful, I'd probably find something to ask them about their job, just out of interest!

NinahH Sun 12-Nov-17 20:53:48

oh, and good luck!

notthegumdropbuttons Mon 20-Nov-17 07:33:59

How rude of me ! I've just seen this. I've no idea who I'll see until the day which is a bit of a pain. Could be agent or editor so I'll just have to do a bit of research on them all and try not to get them confused. Great to know it wasn't as daunting as you expected. That poor other pitcher though, that sounds awful. Thanks for the luck, I shall need it.

NinahH Sat 25-Nov-17 00:34:41

How did it go, gumdrops?

notthegumdropbuttons Mon 27-Nov-17 19:55:01

It went really well thank you! It was like speed dating and you had to pitch to 4 agents and each of them gave advice so by the time I got round to the last one, it was pretty tight. A couple said they really liked the sound of it so hurrah, a success in my book. smile now just to make the actual manuscript as interesting... much work to do

NinahH Mon 27-Nov-17 20:54:09

Excellent, sounds very positive indeed.

BurningTheToast Thu 30-Nov-17 08:38:10

It sounds as though it was a really positive experience. I took part in Pitch Perfect at the Bloody Scotland crime festival and it didn't get me a book deal or an agent but it did mean that I spent some time really thinking about the essence of book in a way that went beyond a rather dry synopsis. And it was great to talk about it in front of an audience for the first time and get some positive feedback - until that point almost no-one knew that I was writing.

It also helped me get my agent, though indirectly. We followed each other on Twitter, had a brief public exchange then a longer one via DM when I told him that my book wasn't what he was looking for. It wasn't finished either. He asked to see the first three so I sent those over. He had a few vague but helpful suggestions, saw it finished, gave me some more helpful but not detailed notes and then took me on after that draft.

Pitching gave me confidence that I wasn't clueless and helped me to take my writing seriously. My book is now out on submission to publishers and we're waiting to see what happens. We have serious interest from a couple, one of which were 90% certain will turn into an offer. So yes, I'd advise taking part in pitching events because of the confidence, thinking about the nugget of what you're books about etc, presenting yourself etc. But don't assume it will get you an agent or a publisher. Although you never know - it does happen!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now