Talk

Advanced search

Full requests/offers/ letting other agents know

(24 Posts)
ProperTeaPortfolio Wed 18-Oct-17 05:55:30

Do you only let other agents know once you’ve had an offer? I’ve seen advice to tell them if the full is out but I don’t want to jump the gun/seem arrogant or naive. Currently have a full out with a couple of agents and trying (and failing) not to think about it.

Thanks.

Roystonv Wed 18-Oct-17 05:57:24

Sorry don't understand

MumblesintheAttic Wed 18-Oct-17 13:08:05

Hi ProperTea,

Replying as a writer who got an agent this year, yes do let the others know you've had a request for the full (or indeed two requests - well done, that's great!). Some will appreciate the nudge and will bump your submission to the top of their list to make sure they don't miss out, and others might be too busy to act on it, but as far as I'm aware none would consider it arrogant or unusual!

Just make sure you put a clear subject line in the email to distinguish it from all the first line submissions.

Good luck!

ProperTeaPortfolio Wed 18-Oct-17 13:35:04

Thank you, mumbles; who knows if it will come to anything. I know it’s just the first in a long line of hurdles!

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 18-Oct-17 22:13:29

Best of luck! You should tell all of them that a couple have a full. They HATE to think they are missing out on anything! If you sign with an agent (fingers crossed!) then tell anyone who still has a manuscript.

I hope you get good news soon.

ProperTeaPortfolio Thu 19-Oct-17 05:59:34

Thanks brilliant, am trying not to get remotely hopeful but it’s hard!

Pollaidh Thu 19-Oct-17 15:35:14

Ooh well done Propertea, I've not been in your situation but definitely tell the others.

Let us know how it goes!

OnTheRise Mon 23-Oct-17 07:20:43

Don't tell agents you have fulls out. They will assume that, if your writing is up to scratch.

If and when you get an offer tell the offering agent you need ten days or two weeks to allow all other interested agents to catch up. Then tell all the agents who have fulls that you have an offer, and have a deadline of X to decide.

Some will drop out at that point, but you might end up with a few more offers. (I did!)

TheWankiestPuffin Mon 23-Oct-17 09:02:17

I told some agents I had the full out. It was the catalyst for the whole thing and I ended up with several offers. It bumps you to the top of their list of priorities because if they ordinarily take 12 weeks to read a manuscript, they're going to potentially miss out on a client.

Pollaidh Mon 23-Oct-17 21:10:24

As it's along similar lines, may I jump on this thread please and ask...

I've submitted my book to one place, a publisher who asked for it after a a Twitter contest (on the advice of the folk in this group). Publisher has come back with a revise & resubmit asking for it to be changed to past tense and cut a few (doable) words, but no other issues, and very hopeful of publishing.

It's highly unlikely I'm going to change to past tense, given advice from other professionals. So next step is going after big agents.

If I explain about the Twitter contest, should I mention this R&R from the publishing house in my agent submission letter?

Is it going to make an agent more keen to see my writing, or is it going to make them wonder what's wrong with it to have a R&R? It's also a small genre publishing house and I am aiming for something higher profile and mainstream. Should I explain this bit to the agent too? I was thinking something like:

"Following a Twitter contest the full MS was assessed by a genre publisher and received a very positive R&R. However I feel the story would better suit a mainstream publisher such as... and therefore I'm submitting to you."

Thanks and sorry for hijacking.

OnTheRise Mon 23-Oct-17 21:25:11

I wouldn't mention it.

Agents offer representation because they think they can sell your book to big publishers, for a nice wodge of money.

They aren't that bothered about smaller publishers, on the whole.

mandymcconville46 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:08:47

Hi everyone. I have five fulls out at present and haven't advised them I have fulls out with other agents. I didn't want to come across as cocky. Should I tell them as everyone seems to think differently. And good luck to all who got this far, we have sweated words to get here. Well done.

mandymcconville46 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:09:17

Hi everyone. I have five fulls out at present and haven't advised them I have fulls out with other agents. I didn't want to come across as cocky. Should I tell them as everyone seems to think differently. And good luck to all who got this far, we have sweated words to get here. Well done.

OnTheRise Mon 13-Nov-17 16:16:22

You don't need to tell agents you have fulls out. They will assume that you do. You only need to tell them when you get an offer.

INeedABiggerBoat Wed 15-Nov-17 12:31:36

Going against the grain here but I did tell agents that I had fulls out, and then again once I had my first offer. It bumps you to the top of their pile.

INeedABiggerBoat Wed 15-Nov-17 12:32:13

BTW you don't have to do it in a cocky way. Just a 'in the interests of full disclosure' was fine.

TheWankiestPuffin Fri 17-Nov-17 22:34:51

That's exactly what I did. Things moved quickly after that. I'd recommend telling them.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Tue 21-Nov-17 10:43:05

Going against the grain, but I wouldn't bother to tell them I'd had an offer - you presumably have only submitted to agents you want, so if one of them offers to represent you, isn't that the goal? They're the one who got back to you quickly and liked it, so wouldn't they be a better fit for you than someone you've had to nudge?

INeedABiggerBoat Tue 21-Nov-17 23:02:36

You should absolutely tell other agents that you've had an offer even if you plan on accepting the first one you get - it's just politeness. An agent once told me that she read through a full manuscript and gave feedback only to have the writer say they'd accepted an offer months ago - if she'd known she wouldn't have bothered reading it at all.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Wed 22-Nov-17 09:57:28

But if it took her months to read it INeedABiggerBoat, then I would just leave it there. I know they're busy, but I would rather go with someone who is quick and who likes my work immediately, rather than have to chase them up and feel a bit self-inflated doing so.

OnTheRise Wed 22-Nov-17 13:09:49

Definitely tell all agents who have asked for fulls or partials once you get an offer. We want to hear this so we don't miss out on what is potentially a great book.

Speed isn't an indication of being a good agent.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Wed 22-Nov-17 13:50:23

Are you an agent OntheRise? Do you not think that some people just lie? They could say they'd had an offer to get bumped up the queue sad - there is so much secrecy in this business (can't say what an offer was, can't say what others suggested, can't say what the book was if there's an NDA), that it must be the case that some lie about this too!

OnTheRise Wed 22-Nov-17 15:43:50

Some writers do lie about it, yes. But they would generally get found out because publishing is a very small world; and remember that telling an agent you have an offer doesn't get you more offers, it just gets your book read more quickly. That's all.

And nope, I'm not going to say what my job is, sorry. Too outing. You'll just have to trust me on this.

INeedABiggerBoat Sun 03-Dec-17 23:18:23

It's not necessarily about making them read it more quickly if you're not bothered about them DownHere - it means they can take it off their reading pile altogether if ProperTea isn't going to go with them. That way others who are still waiting can get bumped up more quickly. It saves time all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now