Talk

Advanced search

Got a 'like' from publisher on #pitmad debating whether to submit

(6 Posts)
Pollaidh Fri 08-Sep-17 22:57:18

I'm just about to start submitting for my contemporary novel, and decided to have a go at twitter's #pitmad, not expecting anything to happen.

I got 'liked' by a US publishing house, which means I'm requested to submit to the editor directly. i.e. I don't have to float to the top of the slush pile.

Problem is this US publishing house, is fairly small, and very much a certain genre. All the feedback I've had from beta and critique partners is that whilst technically my book fits this genre (in that is has LGBT characters and stories), it definitely has mainstream appeal. I've been advised to submit to certain mainstream agents first.

Given the editor's profile, I think it would be a very good fit from her pov, but don't want to restrict myself to that publishing house when I haven't tried anywhere else. I'm assuming it would be massively rude to submit to her (asking for full MS straight off), and then if she was to offer to represent me, reject the offer? Though obviously I'd love the feedback whether I was rejected or accepted.

Problem is decision has to be made today/tomorrow due to the nature of the pitch contest. I've heard how hard it is to get representation, am I being an idiot not to pursue this opportunity?

phoebemac Sat 09-Sep-17 19:18:45

Well done!

Submit to the editor, you have absolutely nothing to lose and you aren't making any sort of commitment. Declining any offers that might be made wouldn't be rude! It's a business decision.

You can still look for an agent and you can still submit to other publishing houses while the editor is reading your MS. In fact, on the agent front it might help if you can say in your covering letter that xxx publishing house is currently considering your MS.

phoebemac Sat 09-Sep-17 19:20:31

PS - are you confusing editors with agents? Editors don't "represent" writers.

Pollaidh Sun 10-Sep-17 20:59:09

Ah yes, thanks I know the difference between editors and agents but was confusing them there. It's an editor at a publishing house who has asked me to submit the full MS.

Hadn't thought of the potential kudos aspect. It's my first, and haven't started submitting yet, so I'm new to all of this. Thankfully the MS is ready (if they're ever ready)...

Thanks for the advice.

OnTheRise Tue 12-Sep-17 18:30:07

You can still look for an agent and you can still submit to other publishing houses while the editor is reading your MS. In fact, on the agent front it might help if you can say in your covering letter that xxx publishing house is currently considering your MS.

If you're looking for an agent do not send your book out to publishers too. Agents can't resubmit a book to a publisher which has already rejected it, so you'll be limiting the work your agent can do.

If the publishing house which liked your book is a great one with a good history of publishing books well, then you could send it to them. But if you think they're too small or niche to publish your book effectively, hold back. Do your agent-hunting first. If you do find an agent she can then send it to this publisher if she thinks it's a good fit. But chances are she'll find you a better publisher and a better contract, because that's what agents do for their clients.

Pollaidh Thu 19-Oct-17 15:47:10

An update and thanks to those who advised: I submitted following your advice and just got a revise & resubmit - they want it in past tense, rather than present (arghh!). So good news (especially for the first thing I ever submitted), but...

It's a small genre publishing house that R&R'd, and the freelance agent who has been helping me with my submission package over the last fortnight, and loved my book, thinks I should go for mainstream agents first instead.

However first I need to decide whether I really need to change it all to past tense (new thread below if anyone has any advice).

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/creative_writing/3064281-R-R-loved-it-but-change-the-tense

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now