Advanced search

Books been rejected 86 times

(9 Posts)
Iloveanimals Fri 26-May-17 19:57:48

I'm gutted.

What do I do now?
Should I give up?

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 26-May-17 20:23:02

Have you received any useful feedback? Can you get any honest feedback from someone whose opinion you trust?

Iloveanimals Fri 26-May-17 20:31:28

Liked the style of writing. Hated the characters sad

Anasnake Fri 26-May-17 20:33:52

Can you self publish on kindle ?

GetAHaircutCarl Sat 27-May-17 11:07:39

Time to start a new project.

Not every project finds a home. That's the sad fact of life for us writers.

phoebemac Sat 27-May-17 11:15:21

Were the rejections agent or publisher rejections or a mix of both?

Getahaircutcarl is right. Think about a new project. It took me two novels to find an agent. Then another two to find a publisher Most published authors have a similar story. Persistence is key! But it is hard and I sympathise.

schmalex Sat 27-May-17 19:22:00

Agree with what others have said. Write another one! It will probably better and you obviously have promise if they like your writing.

Ilikepizza Sat 27-May-17 19:23:17

Self publishing on Kindle is free, and the reviews you get could be valuable feedback for the next project

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 06-Jun-17 12:14:11

Have you thought about the criticism and worked out why it might be? Are your characters too wet, too nasty, too good to be true....?
Have you discussed it with anyone else that has read your book? Even if they didn't agree, they might have some insight as to why it might be.

Then you could consider whether there is anything that can be done to change the aspects people don't like. I discovered when redrafting mine that sometimes it takes surprisingly little alteration to change the way people see a character - sometimes a few lines of dialogue can make a big difference.

I would have a hard think about this as you embark on the next one to make sure it doesn't happen next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now