Advanced search

Starting my book now - eeek

(7 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:59:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumBod Tue 25-Apr-17 15:04:09

Just do it.

Write the fuck out of it.

Who cares if nobody wants to read it? You want to write it; that's all that matters at this stage.

And the first draft WILL be awful, in all likelihood. So it should be. That's your clay. You have all the time in the world to sculpt and shape it.

Tell your story. Good luck.

Beeswax2017 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:07:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumBod Tue 25-Apr-17 15:09:19

Well, don't run too far ahead of yourself at first. If you start worrying about what people will think, you'll just freak yourself out.

Write the story first, then decide what you want to do with it.

HarrietVane99 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:17:53

I almost feel like I am putting myself out there

All novelists put themselves out there to some extent, even if what they write is not autobiographical.

Have you read Gaudy Night, by Dorothy L. Sayers? (Points to username) She has things to say on the subject.

And all authors have self doubt and phases of thinking that what they're writing is crap. You really just have to push on through it. Don't stop to re-read or edit until you've got a complete first draft, or at least a good chunk of it.

Good luck

Kai1977 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:14:38

Stop thinking! Chances are whatever you 'think' your book is going to be right now may look and feel very differently by the time you finish writing even a first draft - mine did!

Don't worry about getting published, you've got a mountain to climb first - writing the damn thing. This isn't meant to scare you, but writing and publishing a book is a long term thing, don't start freaking yourself out about the last/later steps, focus on getting on with the first step. Brick by brick, it's a marathon not a sprint and all the other cliches you can think of.

And don't forget to have fun!

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 28-Apr-17 10:19:57

The Fear is part and parcel of every writer's life.
Fear that the work isn't good enough.
Fear that no one will buy it.
Fear that even if they do, no one will enjoy it.

My advice years down the line is to just do the work. Enjoy it as much as possible. Where you can't enjoy it, grit your teeth.

And always have lots of projects on the bubble so you don't get wedded to any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now